Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 08:07 PM

43,261 posts, read 77,033,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcap98 View Post
I live in a large PUD in Cary and pay into two associations although they seem to be the same thing. They are managed by Talis and we pay $13 a month that is billed as an annual payment. We do not have any amenities. They maintain common areas, a small playground, neighborhood signage, etc...
"We do not have any amenities. They maintain common areas, a small playground, neighborhood signage, etc..."

Those two sentences contradict to some extent. Playgrounds are amenities. Common areas often are. What is the "...etc... ?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 08:10 PM

168 posts, read 349,839 times
I guess it doesn't seem like much in comparison to other neighborhoods. I should have said pool, clubhouse, etc.. And I have read enough of your posts to know that we live close to one another. You live free of the HOA on your side.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:12 PM

43,261 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcap98 View Post
I guess it doesn't seem like much in comparison to other neighborhoods. I should have said pool, clubhouse, etc.. And I have read enough of your posts to know that we live close to one another. You live free of the HOA on your side.
Yes, I do...

Old 05-30-2010, 01:21 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,863,936 times
I looked at an area recently that was in a slightly higher price range. The deciding factor NOT to move there was the HOA fees. It was $300/year for maintaining the common areas (e.g. upkeep of the sign and grass at the entrance) and another $300/year to join the pool.

Granted, the houses were built in 2009, but $600/year for HOA fees seems a bit much. As I expect things to rise simply because of inflation, I can't imagine how much more could be added. A couple hundred more and it would be more than my mortgage payment!

Old 05-31-2010, 09:43 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,900,329 times
We have homes in the 130-200K range in Granville county, about 60 single family homes. We pay $225/yr for minimal landscaping, signage in the front, insurance and virtually no enforcement of covenants. No social activities at all. There is a group of townhomes who also pitch in for a portion of the landscaping.

Read your existing covenants and see if there is a limit on how much they can raise dues and how many homeowner votes are required to do so. Dissolving the HOA is also an option depending on if your neighbors can be cooperative and address issues without having to involve a third party.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:36 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,752,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You must live in Braefield as well, what a rip off. We pay $384 a week in lawn mx to mow 4 small sections of common area. It's obscene. I think someone is embezzling.
Maybe there is away for you to start a nice side business. Hire some guys, buy or lease a truck, trailer and equipment and then start advertising to property management companies and associations for your good and cheap yard service. Then when you send the crew or 2 or 3 guys over to mow your small area and it takes them 30 minutes travel time, load and unload at 15 minutes each plus say 2 or 3 hours to mow, edge and blow your "4 small areas". Now you've paid your 3 guys probably close to $200 in labor for that time and factor in equipment costs, plus surely you want to make some profit? Maybe you can offer the service for $350. Does that really seem like much less money?

AS far as the OP, I would love to know what happened.

The one thing I did not see you mention was how many homes in your community, which as others stated, is much more of a factor than home cost. If you had 80 homes or 200, you still have the same entrance, sign, and mostly the same stormwater issues to deal with, only they are being spread out over a very different number of homes. It does not cost much more to administer 200 homes than it does for 80, yet it is divided out by more than double the people paying.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:54 AM

746 posts, read 2,246,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"We do not have any amenities. They maintain common areas, a small playground, neighborhood signage, etc..."

Those two sentences contradict to some extent. Playgrounds are amenities. Common areas often are. What is the "...etc... ?"
My neighborhood has NO amenities. No playground. No common areas. No etc.! Maybe that poster meant "_m_any" amenities?

Old 07-29-2012, 10:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,287 times
Default Fayetteville Area

I live in a town home with no amenities. Dues are $1800.00 per year. The value of my home is $90,000.00

Last edited by CandyAngel; 07-29-2012 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: i put the wrong number for home value

Old 07-30-2012, 06:46 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,154,276 times
Default let us know

Need to let us know how many homes, do you have a pool and anything else.

Honestly the biggest ripoff I see with most HOAs is the management co. fees and lawn maintenence.
Both of them just charge high because they know it comes from a whole community.

HOA's are getting out of control and since the economy is staying "down" people are really looking at these dues...

I remember a day when people didnt pay someone to tell them what to do on the property they own.
i see more people complaining about them vs liking them and I have ran into more and more people that are looking for a minimum hoa...

Old 07-30-2012, 06:50 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,828,196 times
We're aware, yes, that this thread was started nearly three years ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary