U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 11-05-2009, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
414 posts, read 518,271 times
Reputation: 169

Advertisements

My GF and I both need eye exams and we're on a budget. I just need a basic eye exam b/c I don't prefer contacts, and she needs a contact exam for an astigmatism. I'm interested in something affordable, but all the local Walmarts I called want $75+ for a basic exam and then $130+ for the contact fitting, and that doesn't even include the $20+ additional charge for an astigmatism. I wish we had an America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses b/c they run a deal that's $69 for an exam + 2 pairs of glasses. I can't even get the exam alone for that price anyone have any ideas? I live at Cary Crossroads.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2009, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
7,486 posts, read 14,811,285 times
Reputation: 4671
You shouldn't have to pay for the contact lens fitting if you're not getting contacts. They just won't give you a new prescription.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 04:27 PM
 
Location: North Carolina; former New York Stater
6,066 posts, read 9,375,013 times
Reputation: 4099
Yes, it's sad we don't have "America's Best" that they have elsewhere. I bought glasses at the one in Rochester, NY, when I visited relatives and had the store send me the glasses here. Great deal.

Here in Raleigh, the independent eye doctor at Costco charges $65 for an eye exam. I don't think you need to be a Costco member to get the exam.

Then we use ZenniOptical.com to order glasses.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
414 posts, read 518,271 times
Reputation: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
You shouldn't have to pay for the contact lens fitting if you're not getting contacts. They just won't give you a new prescription.
We both need exams, but she needs contact fitting as well, and we both need prescriptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Here in Raleigh, the independent eye doctor at Costco charges $65 for an eye exam. I don't think you need to be a Costco member to get the exam.

Then we use ZenniOptical.com to order glasses.
I think we'll goto the Costco as it's the cheapest in town, but I have a narrow face so glasses are hard to find that fit me and don't look weird. Is it difficult finding glasses on Zenni that look good and also fit my face?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 06:25 PM
 
Location: North Carolina; former New York Stater
6,066 posts, read 9,375,013 times
Reputation: 4099
Somewhere else on this board I gave a couple of links to web sites that show different types of frames for different shapes of faces. If you Google the appropriate words, I'm sure you can find lots of advice on the Internet.

Generally, if you have a round face, get a squarish frame. If you have an angular face, then get a more rounded frame.

I suggest you go anywhere that sells frames and just try on as many as you can until you find one that looks good, and then look for it on ZenniOptical.

If you're really nervous about picking them out, just buy them where you tried them on and pay the $$$. Wouldn't hurt to compare prices anyway.

There is also advice online about how to adjust eyeglasses.

Be sure to ask the eye doctor for your "pupillary distance." You'll need to provide that to ZenniOptical, and it usually isn't part of a prescription.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
414 posts, read 518,271 times
Reputation: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Somewhere else on this board I gave a couple of links to web sites that show different types of frames for different shapes of faces. If you Google the appropriate words, I'm sure you can find lots of advice on the Internet.

Generally, if you have a round face, get a squarish frame. If you have an angular face, then get a more rounded frame.

I suggest you go anywhere that sells frames and just try on as many as you can until you find one that looks good, and then look for it on ZenniOptical.

If you're really nervous about picking them out, just buy them where you tried them on and pay the $$$. Wouldn't hurt to compare prices anyway.

There is also advice online about how to adjust eyeglasses.

Be sure to ask the eye doctor for your "pupillary distance." You'll need to provide that to ZenniOptical, and it usually isn't part of a prescription.
Pupilary distance, got it. I remember reading about it in another thread, but I'll have to go find it again.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 08:44 PM
 
Location: North Carolina; former New York Stater
6,066 posts, read 9,375,013 times
Reputation: 4099
You can also check your own pupillary distance by printing out a pupillary ruler off the Internet (and making sure your printer is set up so it prints exactly right). But I'd do it many, many times to be sure it's right; it's tricky when you're measuring yourself. I did it last time, and my glasses are fine.

By the way, the Costco I go to is the one on the corner of Six Forks and Wake Forest Roads. I don't know about eye doctors anywhere else. I like the one there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
414 posts, read 518,271 times
Reputation: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
You can also check your own pupillary distance by printing out a pupillary ruler off the Internet (and making sure your printer is set up so it prints exactly right). But I'd do it many, many times to be sure it's right; it's tricky when you're measuring yourself. I did it last time, and my glasses are fine.

By the way, the Costco I go to is the one on the corner of Six Forks and Wake Forest Roads. I don't know about eye doctors anywhere else. I like the one there.
That's the only Costco in Raleigh
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 09:17 PM
 
Location: North Carolina; former New York Stater
6,066 posts, read 9,375,013 times
Reputation: 4099
On a related note, I found an interesting story about a British scientist who invented and is distributing $19 "self-adjusting" eyeglasses to people in poor countries. They just adjust the glasses until they can see properly. Cool. Of course, eyeglass companies hate them.

From a Visionary English Physicist, Self-Adjusting Lenses for the Poor - washingtonpost.com
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
414 posts, read 518,271 times
Reputation: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
On a related note, I found an interesting story about a British scientist who invented and is distributing $19 "self-adjusting" eyeglasses to people in poor countries. They just adjust the glasses until they can see properly. Cool. Of course, eyeglass companies hate them.

From a Visionary English Physicist, Self-Adjusting Lenses for the Poor - washingtonpost.com
That's awesome, but he needs to bring them to the US where there are many that cannot afford glasses or others that do not wish to spend $80 on an exam plus more for glasses themselves.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top