Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 05:14 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgarfield View Post

And yes, things in NC are cheaper than where I am living (WA)..... I just know.
Wages are lower*; taxes are higher. Some food is cheaper; produce is more expensive. Housing is less expensive.

Sorry I don't have suggestions for your trip activities - although, actually, your idea about looking at apartments isn't all bad. You could see what the areas are like, anyway.

*examples of average pay, chosen somewhat randomly:
minimum wage: WA $8.55, NC $7.25
teacher (annual): WA $46,326, NC $43,922
surveyor: WA $34.15, NC $25.09
management occupations: WA $48.38, NC $41.01
nurse WA $26.70, NC $23.06

Unemployment: WA 6.4, NC 7.9 (Sept.)

Last edited by sll3454; 11-09-2009 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 07:49 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times
I haved lived in both Tacoma and Portland and been to Seattle many times. The cost of living here in the Triangle is much lower than where you are now. But culturally, it's night and day. Both places are awesome, but I'd suggest delving deeper into what is important to you. Yes we have shopping centers and places to hang out. But is your occupation important and would you be able to find a position in your field here? And the weather could be a showstopper for you. I realize you had your 100+ days last summer (and probably no A/C) but the summers here are sweltering and humid.

It's not clear to me what type of change you're looking for, and therefore hard to advise you about what activities might be good. Do you know anyone here?

Old 11-09-2009, 09:29 PM

68 posts, read 128,389 times
Well, maybe a change of scenery and pace would help. At the moment, I'd like to attend school there, that is my biggest thing. Then we'll see where to go from there.

Historic sites, festivals, that's what I'd like to do as well while I am staying down there next March...... I'm sure there's more to it, though!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,665 times
My family just moved here and we moved to Brier Creek. It is in Raleigh and everything is brand new. We love it!!

Old 11-10-2009, 05:53 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
If all you're looking for is a fresh start, you might as well pick a place that's less expensive and has better job prospects than either NC or CA.
Pet Peeve of mine! There are only 3 states on the West Coast, and knowing the major city in each of them is not difficult. So I hope the "CA" was a mistype.

didee is right... the cost of living here in the Triangle is MUCH less than Seattle.

The Triangle is a huge change of scenery from Seattle. But again it depends on the scenery you are looking for. I miss the beauty of Seattle and Portland. Our Triangle cities are land locked.... no rivers, no sounds, no beautiful vistas from bridges or ferries, no snow capped mountains. We do have flat land and pine trees. But I love being able to see the stars and moon 12 months of the year.... low lying clouds are not the norm. Architecturally speaking the Triangle Cities are not as interesting as Seattle. Triangle Cities are much smaller thus not as varied in terms of architecture. And Seattle boomed in the early 1900s which makes it an interesting place..... again we don't have as much of that here. We don't have fields of tulips in the spring.... but you will still find fields of cotton and some tobacco in the out lying areas.

Historic sites: yes we have those. Here is a website to check out:
NC Historic Sites

The young 20 set is centered mostly around the universities. (NCSU in Raleigh, Duke in Durham, UNC in Chapel Hill). It's a less creative crowd than you get in Seattle. But it's also has much less of that slacker mentality that permeates the NW.

I am glad that we moved to NC. (We did it for our family... aging parents & our kids). But if we did not have children we would have never have left the NW. For us there is just no comparison. BUT given we do have children, this is a good fit for us.... at least until they are off to college.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:36 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Pet Peeve of mine! There are only 3 states on the West Coast, and knowing the major city in each of them is not difficult. So I hope the "CA" was a mistype.

Nope. Not a mistype. OP has also been thinking about moving to CA. (Major city in each? Seattle, Portland, and Los Angeles? Or would you go with the capitals instead?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary