Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 01:00 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times

Advertisements

Rooms to Go has an awful record for customer dissatisfaction.

Ashley's stuff is all trash from Asia.

Furniture these days is mostly junk, sold with crazy financing plans.

Really hard to find anything that will outlast the payments.

Thanks, D.C. for your wonderful trade policies.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:59 PM

492 posts, read 1,152,157 times
We have a family room set of furniture from Rms 2 Go. Its 3yrs old now and still looks great, its not falling apart at all. No compressed cushions, rips, pulls sags. You do kind of have to look closely at things before you buy. Sofa, club chair, 3 ottomans (in fabric), lamps and a leather recliner, $2100. I don't have very small kids, but I do have 3 teen boys and the Wii is in that room, so often I have their friends over too. The stuff gets sat on regularly. Its holding up extremely well and I still like it. Delivery was quick, as promised and 2 polite guys. We did one of their long free finance deals, but paid it off in 6mo. Our experience with R2G was very positive.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:02 AM

You were fortunate. Many customer issues involve contract delivery services used by R2G.

Haverty's uses their own employees.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:50 AM

82 posts, read 272,079 times
My wife and I just bought a complete living room set and a kitchen set at the Room Store this weekend. We love that place. I don't find them to be a real bargain but with the 20% off that we received, it's not bad. They have some pretty nice furniture and would recomend them to others that don't want to travel to high point for furniture. I think some of these post are mistaking Rooms-to-Go for the Room Store. Totally different stores imo with the ladder being of better quality.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:36 PM

9 posts, read 24,259 times
Try shopping at some of the smaller places around town; you can find better values and not be paying the markup for the big stores. Think of it this way: A small store has less overhead; translation lower markups. If a store has 20ft ceilings and 50,000 square feet, it takes much more money to keep the doors open not to mention the employees. While you won't find the same selection you can touch; most smaller stores have a sampling from each vendor. A decent place will have lots of catalogs and differnt options and you can even have options with a budget. Overall you may not save a fortune, however you will get much more quality.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:17 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,703,450 times
Stores like what?

Old 10-11-2008, 12:02 PM

130 posts, read 390,779 times
Take this advice for what it's worth, but I'm in the business and I promise you the best prices for high quality furniture (Hickory Chair, Southwood, etc.) are at a place called, "Priba" out near the Greensboro airport. I know what they pay for stuff from being able to go to furniture market twice a year and their prices are just above wholesale. If you factor in shipping, their prices are equal to wholesale.

If you are ever looking for oriental rugs, the ONLY place to go is the "Persian Carpet" in Chapel Hill. They import directly cutting out the middle man in NY and sell to the public for what rugs stores pay wholesale in the market. They also don't cheat people which is rampent in the rug industry from what I've seen.

I still think the best bests are tag/estate sales and consignment shops if you have the time for it.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Leave Penciltucky View Post
With High Point being 3 hours away I would not buy just any old furniture. Take a drive out to the outlets and buy some good stuff. Room store and Ashley? Take a drive people. You have the ability to order really good furniture or buy second quality of great furniture right around the corner.
I ordered all my furniture from NC and I don't live there.
Ordering poses a major risk, especially in the current economic situation.

Unless you can use a credit card and get delivery within 60 days, you can easily lose a substantial deposit if the store fails.

Several stores went out overnight taking a lot of money with them. Homelife (formerly part of Sears) and CJ Woodmaster are only two examples.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:14 AM

9 posts, read 24,259 times
First let me address Saturnfan: If we take the stance that we are not going to order anything and only look for places that may have what we want now. We will continue to find ourselves in the crisis we are in right now. Sure a few companies will fold and some will not get deposits back. Be smart use a credit card; most credit cards have protection for just such occasions. If you are worried about the financial status of a company, use a credit card. Most of the companies you will see go under will be larger stores. They do not have the interest in the community that a local store does; if the profits go down the larger place looks to sell off before any loses occur. The smaller guy will keep his doors open, offer lower prices, and do what ever it takes to keep his family in business.

As for where can you go locally:

Here are a few places I would check out. Some of these places are much better than others; however they are all local and not big chains.

1) Furniture Showcase
2) Westside Furnishings
3) Wayside Furniture House

Last edited by aaronv; 10-25-2008 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: Remove HTML

Old 10-26-2008, 07:30 AM

820 posts, read 2,788,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronv View Post
First let me address Saturnfan: If we take the stance that we are not going to order anything and only look for places that may have what we want now. We will continue to find ourselves in the crisis we are in right now. Sure a few companies will fold and some will not get deposits back. Be smart use a credit card; most credit cards have protection for just such occasions. If you are worried about the financial status of a company, use a credit card. Most of the companies you will see go under will be larger stores. They do not have the interest in the community that a local store does; if the profits go down the larger place looks to sell off before any loses occur. The smaller guy will keep his doors open, offer lower prices, and do what ever it takes to keep his family in business.

As for where can you go locally:

Here are a few places I would check out. Some of these places are much better than others; however they are all local and not big chains.

1) Furniture Showcase
2) Westside Furnishings
3) Wayside Furniture House
I disagree. I think the little guy will feel the pinch first.

Why:
Increasing supplier costs.

Increasing transport costs.

Buyers reducing spending habits.

Less credit for business operations and less credit available to buyers for purchases.

Those things will hurt any business owner but I think a larger guy can absorb some of that more. Even when the economy is great mom and pops are on month to month competing with bigger retailers. The little guy does have vested interest in the community but that doesn't mean the community will sustain him, whether they try or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary