Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 11:58 PM

103 posts, read 211,286 times

Advertisements

I only ask b/c school districts vary SO much from state to state. Usually people can tell you if it's a pleasant work environment or a hostile/political environment etc. I've worked in both kinds. I love the school atmosphere for the most part. I'm a social worker and I also have my teachers certificate. I've worked with behavioral issues as well as taught classes. I've heard great things about the Wake County schools for the most part and I'm eager to learn more.

I'm really just trying to get an idea of where I will work...do I want to go the school route or not...we will most likely be settling in Cary...maybe Holly Springs...somewhere thereabouts.

all in the name of fact finding!

thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 05:02 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Isn't there still a hiring freeze at WCPSS?

Old 11-10-2009, 05:32 AM

831 posts, read 1,965,052 times
Speaking for state government employment, I note in my division there is a *selective* hiring freeze. Read: We just hired another chief, even though all Indian positions are eliminated or frozen.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:42 AM

interesting to hear about the hiring freeze...there are a ton of jobs advertised on their website...and they are newly posted.

maybe it's a hiring from within situation.

good to know either way.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:52 AM

I notice that too but it's by division. My division "has no money" (for raises or in-range adjustments). We *do* however have money for...a junior chief, right below the chief. Cuz 2 chiefs are better than one, so they say.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:55 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times
Default Appears to be very limited hiring

The number of positions on the WCPSS job board is reduced significantly from only a year ago, and not even recognizable from two years ago!

It appears WCPSS is only hiring replacement positions, filling the most critical openings created by attrition. Classroom Teachers, Building Principals, and not much else. I would imagine the work environment varies form building to building like all other schools.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:03 AM

I forgot to mention, if hiring teachers is anything like how WCPSS hires everyone else such as secretaries, lunch ladies (" "), cashiers....my mom had a horrendous time wading through that nonsense and couldn't get anyone to respond to anything she sent in - not an acknowledgment, a letter declining her app...nada.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:06 AM

I'm sure that a lot of these positions will be filled by internal applicants. I was just surprised to see a ton of assistant positions (class room, guidance, special ed, 1-to-1 etc), and coaching positions...thought *maybe* things were changing.

darn economy.

Interestingly, jobs for positions like Occupational Therapists are in high demand all over. (although I don't know if school systems are hiring OT's). Companies are paying relocation costs, sign on bonuses...the whole thing.

I guess I went into the wrong field.

oh well. I guess we'll see what the coming months have to bring.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:58 PM

645 posts, read 1,503,694 times
I had an interview for a teaching position yesterday at a school in wake county. IF I would be offered a job it will be on a terminating contract that will end on the last day of school in June. There is no guarantee that the job will be available come august when school starts again. If the district will not give me at least a 1 year contract that would go through the end of the school year and next school year I will turn the job down. Better to work at Trader Joes and work at a bartending job. Will make way more money.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:26 AM

144 posts, read 556,299 times
If you start in the middle of the year you will always be on a terminating contract... that is going to happen at every school that you apply to. Even when you are at the school for a few years there is a chance that you could be let go because numbers at the school change and you are the newest person in a dept. It really is a bit stressful right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary