Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 06:04 AM

78 posts, read 226,296 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have feedback on Jordan Lakes School of the Arts in Apex for a high functioning Autistic / Aspergers child (1st grade)?

The school is only in its first year, which comes with risk, and there isn't that much information out there on it. It is a private school that is autistic friendly but also accepts neurotypical and gifted kids. The program seems almost too good to be true.

My husband and I are open to relocating from NJ for the right program for our daughter and we think RTP would be a good fit for us as well (my computer programmer husband has a job in NYC that he could telecommute for). Relocation would be a big deal for us and the right program for our daughter is a cornerstone of that.

Suggestions for other schools / areas are also appreciated.

We are coming to the RTP area in 10 days to look at Jordan Lake School of the Arts and get a feel for the area.

Thanks in advance for any input on the school or area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 07:11 PM

330 posts, read 984,654 times
There is a new private school, Jordan Lake Sudbury School in Raleigh.
Jordan Lake Sudbury School

I'm not sure if they are equipped for your special needs but worth checking out and asking.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:16 PM

Thank you, Bazers!

The Sudbury school looks really interesting but not a good fit for my daughter (she does better with more structure than their program).

My husband and I really like the concept of mixing high functioning autistics with typical and gifted children and the vibe sounds amazing, but as I mentioned above, the risk is that it is a new program.

If you have any other ideas or can point me in the direction of other resources, I would really appreciate it.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:07 PM

We ended up enrolling our daughter at Jordan Lake School of the Arts. It is a really good fit for her and we couldn't be happier. We didn't have to pay in advance.

Best of luck to anyone else looking for the right program for their child!

Old 12-16-2012, 12:28 AM

1 posts, read 4,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiCaffo View Post
We ended up enrolling our daughter at Jordan Lake School of the Arts. It is a really good fit for her and we couldn't be happier. We didn't have to pay in advance.

Best of luck to anyone else looking for the right program for their child!

Hi:
I was wondering if your daughter is still attending Jordan Lake School of the Arts and what you think about it?

My son is a 12 yr. old Aspie that started the 6th grade this year. And what a time it has been, we're 4 months into the school year and his IEP is still not straightened out.

Because he's very smart they say he doesn't qualify for services, but then turn around and won't put him into the academically gifted class because of his written expression issues even though his records say he's AG.

I've been thinking about having him tutored, but also the possibility of a new school altogether. Like you, when I came across Jordan Lake, I felt it was too good to be true. I plan to call after the holidays to set up a visit at the school.

Any thoughts about the school's academics, staff, etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-16-2012, 06:46 AM

Hi!
I just DM'd you. I am happy to provide whatever information I can.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,941 times
We are looking into a special needs school in the area for a 13-yr old boy with Asperger. Please share if you liked the Jordan Lake School of arts.
Thank you so much,
Julia

Old 02-28-2014, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,722 times
I am very interested in hearing about the school as well. I have a son that is an upcoming 8th grader. We did 3 years previously of home school. He really missed the social aspect of being around his peers. He has an IEP for LA and Math and also gets CA for his other classes. He is really struggling to keep up at their pace but is capable of doing the work. I feel like as a child in the middle of the spectrum he's lost in the process. Any information you can share would be appreciated.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,411 times
Default Love it!

We love having our daughter at JLSA. The staff is fantastic and very talented and the students and families couldn't be nicer. They go out of their way to know the students and families and our daughter has thrived. We have many friends whose children are in regular public or charter schools and the culture and purpose of those places just doesn't appeal to us. She is a gentle kid, who is kind and hard working and very successful academically...we have a full plate in the afternoons with lessons and family/friend activities so it works perfectly for us. Can't say enough good things!!

Old 04-19-2016, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,294 times
Our son loves JLSA. We can't say enough great things about the school. It is educational, nurturing, creative, and fun.

He hopes to continue on through high school there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary