Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 12:50 PM

675 posts, read 1,827,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
what a waste of everyones time this process is not least TWC who have to employ people to deal with angry customers who threaten to leave unless they get reaonable prices.
What if the rate increases are due to costs related to hiring more service reps to deal with the customers angry about the rate increases...? Try wrapping your head around THAT one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 06:37 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,137,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
What if the rate increases are due to costs related to hiring more service reps to deal with the customers angry about the rate increases...? Try wrapping your head around THAT one.
Huh? This makes no sense.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:07 AM

351 posts, read 768,362 times
So, customers who bundle all 3 services get a 4.6% increase -- the rest get a 15% increase. So if you switch to satellite or another phone service your increase is more than triple.

Nothing like a good 'ol monopoly.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:27 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,046,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexIntruder View Post
Well I left and I am starting to get a little upset because I have pixelation and audio skipping on more than one Directv channel now.

TWC is doing the same for us AGAIN. Seems to rotate from channel to channel every month or so. Its really tiring watching a show that "freezes" every 15-30 seconds!!

Old 11-15-2009, 09:15 AM

174 posts, read 406,305 times
Quote:
...starting to get a little upset because I have pixelation and audio skipping on more than one Directv channel now.
All these systems are "local load dependent"; as in as the local load increases, the service degrades; and if TW, Direct TV, whoever doesn't add "infrastructure" to boost their "overall area bandwidth" as local load increases, the consumer will get degraded service. In my opinion, in Broadband like other "corporate-driven services" in the new economy, simply hoping that the corporations will "do the right thing" seems to be problematic; they seem to respond best when they are forced...

Old 11-15-2009, 09:54 AM

393 posts, read 670,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomedata View Post
All these systems are "local load dependent"; as in as the local load increases, the service degrades; and if TW, Direct TV, whoever doesn't add "infrastructure" to boost their "overall area bandwidth" as local load increases, the consumer will get degraded service. In my opinion, in Broadband like other "corporate-driven services" in the new economy, simply hoping that the corporations will "do the right thing" seems to be problematic; they seem to respond best when they are forced...
I guess there is not much we can do when we want the HD channel choice on a home theater system, but BOTH TWC and Directv are falling short on quality. It's very discouraging. I know one thing for sure. I won't take someone's word again when they "claim" a service is so great.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:43 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,803,693 times
Anyone know of ANY alternatives to TWC in Wake Forest area? Zip 27587. I am only looking for broadband Internet. I don't care about cable.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:05 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,085,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
anyone know of any alternatives to twc in wake forest area? Zip 27587. I am only looking for broadband internet. I don't care about cable.
dsl

Old 11-15-2009, 11:41 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,851,609 times
Quote:
I guess there is not much we can do when we want the HD channel choice on a home theater system, but BOTH TWC and Directv are falling short on quality. It's very discouraging.
I think the next step in this process is eventual disintermediation with respect to video content distribution. Some of it is possible today - hook a Media Center PC to your television and watch programming direct from the source or via sites like Hulu. If all content can be pushed out digitally over the internet (and, speaking of capacity limitations ....) will we need a TWC or DirecTV? Do you think companies like TWC are sweating over this possibility just a little bit?

Old 11-15-2009, 01:18 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,302,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I think the next step in this process is eventual disintermediation with respect to video content distribution. Some of it is possible today - hook a Media Center PC to your television and watch programming direct from the source or via sites like Hulu. If all content can be pushed out digitally over the internet (and, speaking of capacity limitations ....) will we need a TWC or DirecTV? Do you think companies like TWC are sweating over this possibility just a little bit?

Well since they own (or at least I think they do) the lines that run into my house and probably most others the only escape we have is wif-fi internet thru cell phone companies. Verizon's LTE and Sprint's Wi-MAX is going to eat into their ability to hold us hostage. The only issue is price - I pay around $20/month for TWC's 1.5 mb internet and last year I was paying $15 for the 768k. If the cell phone companies can come in close to that pricing we'll see mass exodus but I highly doubt they will be there. Probably more like $50-$60/month.

I actually just looked up Wi-MAX from Sprint (now Clear I *believe). Plans start at $25/month. Interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary