Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 12:40 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,573 times

Advertisements

We called yesterday to add three more tvs for a total of seven. We already had hi speed internet with a boost, phone service and three dvr's. They threw in showtime and cinemax channels and reduced our plan by $28 which is now locked in for two years. We will be paying $230 and we're getting more than we had in NJ for $250. DH's employer pays for internet, boost and phone so it's not a bad deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 05:53 PM

645 posts, read 1,503,569 times
149 high speed Internet with the boost, phone and cable TV high Def, two DVRs 149 locked in until May 2011. TWC. Not sure what you are complaining about. Its a good deal.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:15 PM

767 posts, read 1,848,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
the sooner AT&T role out U-verse on a wider scale in the Triangle the better. TWC needs some competition to keep them on their toes as the NC Communications regulators have failed us completely in this regard. Every year I go through the same charade with TWC Retention in order to keep my bundled price affordable - what a waste of everyones time this process is not least TWC who have to employ people to deal with angry customers who threaten to leave unless they get reaonable prices.
Cable service is not regulated by the state of NC...you'll have to speak with the FCC.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:43 AM

299 posts, read 635,264 times
My cable bill was scheduled to go up by over $40 from a total of $182. I negotiated a deal where I received the same services plus free Showtime and an additional cable box with dvd recorder at no additional charge. My new total came to $175 including tax and I had to agree to a contract for two years. I'm happy with the service I get, no cable outage, good internet connections with only occasional problems, twice in 18 months and resolved with one phone call. I tried DirectTV initially upon moving here, they can keep it and their terrible service. The pictures on our TV's were blurred the majority of the time and when they sent someone out for service, I was charged each time.

While I wish we had more options in the area as that would result in lower charges, I'll take TWC over DirectTV especially since they were more than happy to negotiate a new contract that worked in my favor.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:46 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
Cable service is not regulated by the state of NC.
Sure it is, under the North Carolina Video Service Competition Act which established statewide franchising in place of the previous locally-granted franchises and took effect January 1, 2007.

See: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions...df/H2047v6.pdf

Old 11-16-2009, 08:48 AM

450 posts, read 1,553,822 times
I have TWC and pay less than $50 a month, including tax, for two outlets (one cable card and one HD box), Digital Cable with all the HD channels, Showtime, Cinemax, and HBO. I'm locked in for 2 years, but I'm not complaining.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:52 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexIntruder View Post
Now if I only had another option for the high speed internet part of it.
I've posted this many times, but you do. Switch to Earthlink Cable. It's the same connection as Road Runner, even the same TWC CSRS, but its costs less per month unbundled. We're lucky to have a cable "competitor" in the area even if it's really the same service with a different name and price.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:54 PM

93 posts, read 164,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Sure it is, under the North Carolina Video Service Competition Act which established statewide franchising in place of the previous locally-granted franchises and took effect January 1, 2007.

See: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions...df/H2047v6.pdf
That's not the same as to how electric/gas/telephone are regulated.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:16 PM

393 posts, read 673,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
I've posted this many times, but you do. Switch to Earthlink Cable. It's the same connection as Road Runner, even the same TWC CSRS, but its costs less per month unbundled. We're lucky to have a cable "competitor" in the area even if it's really the same service with a different name and price.

I just checked them out. They want:
  • $72.95 for 10 mbps
  • $41.95 for 7 mbps (after 6 mo promo)
That doesn't seem like a deal.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:08 PM

449 posts, read 699,937 times
Default The big picture indeed... pun intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I think the next step in this process is eventual disintermediation with respect to video content distribution. Some of it is possible today - hook a Media Center PC to your television and watch programming direct from the source or via sites like Hulu. If all content can be pushed out digitally over the internet (and, speaking of capacity limitations ....) will we need a TWC or DirecTV? Do you think companies like TWC are sweating over this possibility just a little bit?
They're sweating bullets like you can't imagine... this is the impetus behind two things:
  • Usage caps--it would cost you more to stream movies/programs and make it too expensive to get your programming online... so you'll keep your cable broadcasting service. Ditto for the telcos (AT&T) and VOIP vs. their phone service. These companies need to pay for their overhead of course and make a profit, but the usage caps proposed and tried by some are so ridiculously obvious in their intent.
  • Charging more (or less) depending on the content being accessed online...Don't know if you all have come across the term Net Neutrality... the concept is to keep internet service providers from becoming gatekeepers in regard to content (legal content), to make internet access regulated to be content-neutral like phone service is.
Look at the structure of the media conglomerates who own just about every ISP available to most Americans... they have an incredibly vested interest in making sure paying customers watch their content offerings, and not those of a competitor conglomerate. IMVHO this is approaching monopoly in that now you have a single owner who creates, distributes and broadcasts content. So much for "choice." So much for the free market (in both the economic and creative senses).

The FCC is moving forward on possibly mandating Net Neutrality and again IMVHO they can't do it fast enough... there are senators trying to kill this "in the bud" already.

Mods, this is local in that until (and if) Uverse is installed in my neighborhood, I have to go TWC or an antenna for TV which would be iffy with the large number of huge trees in this old neighborhood, and TWC or DSL for internet service... which speedwise is no comparison... unless TWC decides to cap bandwidth again, or worse. Since they were the most egregious abuser of caps in the whole nation before the outcry made them back off, this is an issue in my area of Raleigh.

I read that Uverse is less likely to be installed in older/historic neighborhoods--which yes, I knew before we moved where we did, but looking at what the rest of the developed world can get as far as broadband, this just shouldn't be so hard...

</soapbox>

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary