Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:23 PM

278 posts, read 467,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisertime View Post
I hate TWC! I love how the advertise "the home of Free HD" and in the same sentence say for $10/mo. How is that free?
I completely agree. HD is absolutely NOT free: in order to get it, you need at least a digital package with converter box, which is $10/mo. more than basic cable. How are they allowed to use this slogan? If it isn't illegal, it should be - they're prominently making a claim that is categorically false.

I recently saw another ad claiming that TWC allows you to "start over" if you find a show in progress; they were claiming this to be an advantage over dish service which doesn't. Problem: TWC's "start over" service only works on a few of the 100+ channels. Again, you would need the upgraded digital with their DVR box.

I've had my service about a year, and I've had enough. The free on-demand only works about half of the time; the channel menu won't allow me to edit out the premium stations I don't get. Even the intro cost is too high, and they raised after 6 mos when I have proof it was a 12 mo offer - I had to call twice to get the bill fixed. Now, my internet is disconnecting ALL the TIME. Ugh.

Anyhow, I found a website that gets free streams of all NHL & NBA games. So cable tv is over and internet will be elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 01:08 PM

518 posts, read 1,052,403 times
You know the more I think about cable TV, the more annoyed I get. My family did not have cable when I was younger, but wasn't at one time, part of the selling point that there were no commercials? Or was that just HBO, Cinemax/Showtime etc? You pay $100 a month for all this programming, most of which the average person cannot physically watch, but with all the advertising, which can make up to 1/3 of the actual program time, you would think the advertising could subsidize the cost of broadcasting like network TV and still be profitable.

Personally, I get pissed if I go to a movie in the theater and they start the previews with advertisements or buy a DVD with advertising (esp that you cant skip over). I am not talking about the stuff, while the lights are on..thats fine, but if I am paying money to go see a movie, I do not want to be forced to watch advertising and waste my time. I kinda feel the same way about cable. I could live without it I guess sure, I have before, but there are some stuff I really like on cable and I chose to get raped I suppose, but its surprising more people don't protest more. Give me free stuff and I can tolerate the advertising. Just seems its gotten worse in the past 5-10 years than I recall (and a good majority is TWC company advertisements). I can't stand the Road runner and worktriangle.com ones especially....and why exactly does TWC need to advertise TWC to its subscribers so often? We are already paying for it!

Old 12-30-2009, 01:45 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Was just reading last night that the broadcast channels are considering switching to cable-only models so that they can get both per-subscriber fees and advertising dollars. The ad dollars alone aren't doing it for them anymore, so things are going in the opposite direction.

Broadcasters' woes could spell trouble for free TV (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/12/28/financial/f210935S93.DTL - broken link)

Old 12-30-2009, 07:56 PM

446 posts, read 1,393,976 times
great.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:47 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,116 times
Default closer than we think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Was just reading last night that the broadcast channels are considering switching to cable-only models so that they can get both per-subscriber fees and advertising dollars. The ad dollars alone aren't doing it for them anymore, so things are going in the opposite direction.

Broadcasters' woes could spell trouble for free TV (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/12/28/financial/f210935S93.DTL - broken link)
Apparently this new business model is closer than we think in some larger metro areas, a friend in a Detroit suburb said it was on the table in her area for a while now. Looks like it's time for Wake County Public Library system to beef up its book selections...backwards in time I go. I watch minimal tv on less than 24 of my mandatory minimum package of 74 channels. Screw cable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary