Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 09:46 AM

78 posts, read 225,390 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are coming to the area this upcoming long weekend to check it out overall and to see private schools in Apex / Cary area.

Two questions:

1) Can anyone recommend good hotels in the area (I guess that would include Chapel Hill and Durham areas too)?

2) Is this a busy weekend in the area (do we need to make reservations in case we decide to change plans on part of the area we will be looking at)?

Any help would be appreciated. We want to get a good sense of what it would be like to live there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 10:20 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,131,774 times
If your budget is moderate, I've heard good things about the Embassy Suites at Harrison Avenue & I-40 in Cary. If your budget goes higher, try The Umstead, which is pretty much across the street. It's a very central location for anything in the Triangle, and it's very close to Cary Academy, a top private school in the area. I'm not sure you want to change hotels when your time is limited. There isn't a lot going on this weekend, but I'd check directly with the hotel.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:32 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,181,264 times
I'd look in North Raleigh, since that is centrally located between Cary and Durham.

There is a Marriot, directly across the street from Crabtree Valley Mall. The location would be good for restaurants, as well. That number is 919-781-7001.

If you prefer less expensive, I'd had clients stay at the Embassy Suites/Crabtree and on Summit Drive, which is close to that same area, there are a few other hotels like LaQuinta.

Vicki

Old 11-18-2009, 12:38 PM

166 posts, read 662,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
If your budget is moderate, I've heard good things about the Embassy Suites at Harrison Avenue & I-40 in Cary. If your budget goes higher, try The Umstead, which is pretty much across the street. It's a very central location for anything in the Triangle, and it's very close to Cary Academy, a top private school in the area. I'm not sure you want to change hotels when your time is limited. There isn't a lot going on this weekend, but I'd check directly with the hotel.

I second this recommendation, especially if you will have your children with you--they have a very nice indoor pool, and a good variety of restaurants nearby. It is much easier to get to a variety of locations from this exit than it is around Crabtree. The whole Glenwood Ave area around the Marriott is a nightmare, traffic-wise. Although the Marriott is a nice hotel and is directly across from the mall, which houses The Cheesecake Factory restaurant and PF Changs From Harrison Ave and I40 it would be equally easy to get downtown quickly via Wade Ave (the next exit), out to 540 (5 minutes west), the inner beltline (5 minutes east) or into Cary (you're there already)

Old 11-18-2009, 04:47 PM

78 posts, read 225,390 times
Thank you all for the tips. We are excited about visiting the area and I am really grateful for all the local advice.

If you can think of anything else that maybe we would want to see in particular this weekend (special goings-on) please let me know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary