Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2016, 02:02 PM

204 posts, read 289,011 times

Advertisements

It's funny since I now have an in-dash camera, people are driving better, well! except for this afternoon where 2 Mustangs were racing on 540 W and almost cause multiple accidents since they were getting near a traffic jam than finally slam on their brakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 03:43 PM

183 posts, read 197,858 times
Some of the worst driving I've ever seen from folks down here. And a huge laugh at anyone who thinks that comes from elsewhere.

Drivers in the north keep right except when passing. Drivers here will stick to their left lane cruising no matter how many cars stack up behind them. Responses I've heard are always "I'm in NO hurry, you can follow as close as you like. I'm not moving over."

Very dangerous highway driving here since passing slow moving vehicles requires on the left and on the right due to slow and stubborn.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:55 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricoder View Post
Some of the worst driving I've ever seen from folks down here. And a huge laugh at anyone who thinks that comes from elsewhere.

Drivers in the north keep right except when passing. Drivers here will stick to their left lane cruising no matter how many cars stack up behind them. Responses I've heard are always "I'm in NO hurry, you can follow as close as you like. I'm not moving over."

Very dangerous highway driving here since passing slow moving vehicles requires on the left and on the right due to slow and stubborn.
Being straight with you?

I have seen some insane drivers in every state I have ever visited or lived in.

It's not unique to NC and it most definitely has deteriorated in the Triangle as more people move here and bring along the rules of the road from the states they left.

Reminds me of driving near Ft. Bragg when I was younger. Scary.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:03 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
I have no complaints. Drivers here are so much better than in Florida, and car insurance is so much cheaper. It's heaven to me.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:04 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricoder View Post
That's the best laugh I've had all day.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:22 PM

230 posts, read 255,443 times
Just wanted to vent here. I have a horrible commute everytime I have to go to Durham because of drivers on either Lynn Rd passing through a school zone, when it's nowhere near the time on the sign, and on Tw Alexander because of slow drivers. I really wish someone would put more speed limit signs on TW Alexander because I've only seen 1 between Glenwood and 147. Maybe this is why people go 40-45? Or am I wrong by going 55 on that road? Oh and then on my trip home, as I exit off of 540 onto Six Forks, the yield sign that so many people think is a stop sign! Does anyone else share my frustrations? One more thing, how many letters to the DOT does it take to get the area near Six Forks and Sawmill repaved? It is atrocious in the R lane heading north on Six Forks. Thanks for reading.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:46 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fscottfitz View Post
Just wanted to vent here. I have a horrible commute everytime I have to go to Durham because of drivers on either Lynn Rd passing through a school zone, when it's nowhere near the time on the sign, and on Tw Alexander because of slow drivers. I really wish someone would put more speed limit signs on TW Alexander because I've only seen 1 between Glenwood and 147. Maybe this is why people go 40-45? Or am I wrong by going 55 on that road? Oh and then on my trip home, as I exit off of 540 onto Six Forks, the yield sign that so many people think is a stop sign! Does anyone else share my frustrations? One more thing, how many letters to the DOT does it take to get the area near Six Forks and Sawmill repaved? It is atrocious in the R lane heading north on Six Forks. Thanks for reading.
That section of Six Forks Road has an overall pavement rating of 90.1/100 so I doubt it'll be resurfaced anytime soon. You could ask maintenance crews to patch up the rough pavement at the intersection.

NCDOT: Contact us
(or)
Wake County Maintenance Yard contact info - https://apps.dot.state.nc.us/dot/dir....aspx?id=12689

Old 02-19-2016, 09:49 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Technically since part of TW Alexander is in the City of Raleigh limits (between Glenwood and Page Road), if there are no speed limit signs, the speed limit is statutory 35 mph. After Page Road, it's signed as 55 mph once leaving the city limits.

That's probably not what you wanted to hear

Old 02-20-2016, 04:48 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Yes people need to learn how to get off the freeway and merge onto six forks. That turn requires you slow down to about 35 or so and get right back on the gas to get up to speed. The right lane is long so even if you don't have a lead foot it's no problem. Also agree on six forks near sawmill. That intersection needs to be repaved.

Old 02-20-2016, 05:03 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
I know some (if not all) of y'all are probably going to think that I'm on crack, but I found it MUCH easier driving around Durham and Raleigh than I do around Danville...which defies logic since both of those cities are about 3-4 times bigger than that cesspool. I've seen some real doozies in the 14 years I lived in NC but none of them were as bad as the @ssholes I've seen up here. For anybody that's familiar with Danville, Piney Forest Road and Riverside Drive are probably the two worst roads to be on. I'm not saying the Triangle isn't bad, traffic-wise, but I'd rather drive around the Triangle than Danville any day of the week. Hell, the only reason I'm in Damnville in the first place was so I could be close to a relative who had lung cancer (died last August), but that's a whole different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary