Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 09:06 PM

23 posts, read 76,189 times

Advertisements

We put in an offer on a house in Apex a week ago, with plans to sell our Florida house and mortgaging only $100,000 on a $250,000 house. This is our 4th house, our credit is stellar, and our income to debt ratio is low. I will move with the kids to the Apex house so my special needs son can go to a better school, while my husband continues to work in Florida (he's been at his great job for 8 years). He has had no luck in a year getting any response for NC jobs, I guess because we are out of state. Anyway, the BIG problem is that the mortgage broker has given us a pre-approval letter, but will not close the loan until DH has a job in NC. We really want this house, and this "no job in NC, no mortgage in NC" rule seems really stupid. Who cares where my husband works as long as the mortgage gets paid? Does anyone have any suggestions to help us???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2006, 09:10 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,517,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsmom2000
We put in an offer on a house in Apex a week ago, with plans to sell our Florida house and mortgaging only $100,000 on a $250,000 house. This is our 4th house, our credit is stellar, and our income to debt ratio is low. I will move with the kids to the Apex house so my special needs son can go to a better school, while my husband continues to work in Florida (he's been at his great job for 8 years). He has had no luck in a year getting any response for NC jobs, I guess because we are out of state. Anyway, the BIG problem is that the mortgage broker has given us a pre-approval letter, but will not close the loan until DH has a job in NC. We really want this house, and this "no job in NC, no mortgage in NC" rule seems really stupid. Who cares where my husband works as long as the mortgage gets paid? Does anyone have any suggestions to help us???

The mortgage broker is acting a little strange. Well maybe not really. They have to work with their [restrictive] rules and the framework of the banks/lenders they are brokering. If you want, I can PM you "my mortgage guy". I won't post it here for fear of getting "zapped".

I'm purchasing my home in Waxhaw, NC, I'm *not* selling my home in MA (which is a duplex- just going to rent it out). My business is telecommuting and air travel by nature so I'm location-independent. Anyway he made it all *work* for me. So if you want, you can PM or post here and I'll PM you his contact info.

And nope (to those thinking), I don't get a referral fee, just trying to be a helpful citizen

Old 07-21-2006, 09:17 PM

414 posts, read 1,376,406 times
Quote:

what would happen if you told them you want it as a vacation home?

I can't see why they would care where you live as long as you pay

Old 07-21-2006, 09:25 PM

23 posts, read 76,189 times
Default Primary Residence, not a Vacation Home

Our NC home would be our only residence, not a vacation home. That is a nice thought though!

Old 07-21-2006, 10:06 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,517,673 times
Quote:
Our NC home would be our only residence, not a vacation home. That is a nice thought though!
Right, but what TBlitz is suggesting is that the paper work is different if it's a second home. However you say you are purchasing a home that is $250K and will need a mortgage of $100K? You're going to have 60% equity. I don't understand his issue. If you default you lose more than the bank!

Old 07-21-2006, 10:46 PM

676 posts, read 3,068,080 times
I casually had asked my loan agent the same question. We found a realtor and got pre-approved while my husband was out interviewing for jobs, but I was curious if we could still move forward with offers on a house while waiting to hear back from jobs....Anyway, she never gave me specific details since he did get hired right away, but at the time she had said to not worry about it because there could be ways to get around it by trying to get a loan as an investment property or a second home even though we didn't own a house. Our loan was higher than what you need too. I think you may want to try to ask another loan broker for suggestions.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:11 PM

414 posts, read 1,376,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme
I casually had asked my loan agent the same question. We found a realtor and got pre-approved while my husband was out interviewing for jobs, but I was curious if we could still move forward with offers on a house while waiting to hear back from jobs....Anyway, she never gave me specific details since he did get hired right away, but at the time she had said to not worry about it because there could be ways to get around it by trying to get a loan as an investment property or a second home even though we didn't own a house. Our loan was higher than what you need too. I think you may want to try to ask another loan broker for suggestions.
I was also thinking an invest property. I don't see how they can tell you know espically when you have a lot of money to put down.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:41 PM

477 posts, read 1,578,694 times
Quote:

Have you shopped for a different lender?

Old 07-21-2006, 11:49 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,844,217 times
Do a no docs loan then. Simple. You have to pay a little more on interest, by re-fi in 6 months. That's what we did.

Old 07-22-2006, 07:16 AM

62 posts, read 175,934 times
Default go somewhere else

i'd go with a different lender. and not a bank. banks are two impersonal and don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary