U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 03:49 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,582,176 times

Advertisements

Who knows of a great HELOC rate for a property in Raleigh? Seems like the lowest rates vary from bank to bank quite often, and Bankrate doesn't have a comprehensive listing any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 04:34 PM

186 posts, read 256,294 times
Ours is currently 2.6% annual rate with Wells-Fargo (Wachovia). If you qualify you should be able to secure a very competitive rate. Good Luck.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:41 PM

2,569 posts, read 4,369,116 times
Aren't those things not smart to do?

Old 11-19-2009, 05:56 PM

118 posts, read 223,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Who knows of a great HELOC rate for a property in Raleigh? Seems like the lowest rates vary from bank to bank quite often, and Bankrate doesn't have a comprehensive listing any more.
I've got prime minus 0.75% with no minimums/annual fees from Charter One.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:57 PM

1,749 posts, read 1,974,989 times
I was going to suggest you check out Wachovia - their rates that I have seen are really competitive.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:07 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,582,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
Aren't those things not smart to do?
You mean a HELOC? Whyzzat? I have a large amount of equity in my home and might like to borrow against it to put in a pool, add on, finish a basement, etc...they're only bad if you borrow more than you owe and/or can't pay it back properly.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:31 PM

2,569 posts, read 4,369,116 times
I know a lot have been frozen due to the economic crisis. I guess if you're using it to build more equity in your house it's ok, but I didn't know that originally. I know a lot of people were using HELOC's to pay down CC bills etc.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:38 AM

348 posts, read 697,428 times
New HELOC rates are pretty high, usually Prime + some big spread like 3-4% or more. I had a HELOC in place before the crunch at Prime - 1% so is now 2.25%. I think you'd struggle to get that now. As stated many of these lines were frozen or removed if they'd not been drawn during the crunch

Old 11-20-2009, 07:39 AM

2,174 posts, read 4,622,884 times
HELOC's are not always bad, but with anything you just have to be smart about it. Taking one out to by a car probably isn't a good idea. Taking a $50k heloc out if you have $50k in equity is probably also not a good idea, due to the fact that you'll never kbnow if you home value could drop. Taking a $50k heloc to add value to your home, when you have $100k plus of equity, would probably be alright. You just have to way the pros and cons.

When I lived in Northern VA back in 2005 and I knew people taking out HELOC's to pay for vacations and buy cars. House values were shooting through the roof at the time up there. Those same people are probably in a world of hurt now that their homes have dropped from $500k to in same cases half of that value.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:50 AM
jhk

81 posts, read 140,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
HELOC's are not always bad, but with anything you just have to be smart about it. Taking one out to by a car probably isn't a good idea. Taking a $50k heloc out if you have $50k in equity is probably also not a good idea, due to the fact that you'll never kbnow if you home value could drop. Taking a $50k heloc to add value to your home, when you have $100k plus of equity, would probably be alright. You just have to way the pros and cons.

When I lived in Northern VA back in 2005 and I knew people taking out HELOC's to pay for vacations and buy cars. House values were shooting through the roof at the time up there. Those same people are probably in a world of hurt now that their homes have dropped from $500k to in same cases half of that value.
why is that? just like you mentioned, if you have enough equity there and it isnt pushing the loan to value(which most places wont let you get near. max 90%) then its not a bad idea, esp for tax purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary