Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 10:38 AM

107 posts, read 479,022 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of a restaurant/diner to get bratwurst and pretzel bread? Or other good German-type food. Cary would be best, but anywhere in the triangle would be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 10:49 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,282,297 times
I love German food, but haven't really found any here. I drove out to Selma, near the outlet mall in Smithfield recently, to a German restaurant there and was sadly disapponted. There's a great place in Black Mountain if you ever make it out that way...

Old 07-30-2008, 10:52 AM

4 posts, read 18,549 times
Guglhopf Bakery in Durham has a great bakery and I think they have pretzel bread. It's on 15-501. Good Luck!

Old 07-30-2008, 10:57 AM

413 posts, read 1,250,470 times
I second Guglhopf, esp for the bread. Sandwiches aren't exactly German. Fyi, Guglhopf is 15-501 Business.

Another place for the closest thing to a real German pretzel I've had anywhere in the south is at the Wooden Nickel. They serve it with this awesome mustard. But sorry, no German style sandwiches there either (except maybe a Reuben, which really isn't anyway, but still good).

Old 07-30-2008, 10:58 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,965,068 times
Not sure if this is "real german" food or not, but i've always enjoyed the sandwiches at Mr Dunderbak's at Crabtree Valley Mall.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:38 AM

847 posts, read 3,513,100 times
Guglhupf brezels in Durham are so good. Here's a picture (and a link to their bakery catalog with all the offerings--German and other breads, cookies, pastries, rolls).

Guglhupf Bakery & Pâtisserie - Catalog - Rolls, Buns & Savory Breads - Brezel Stick with Cheese (http://www.guglhupf.com/catalog/rolls/r4.html - broken link)

Old 07-30-2008, 11:49 AM

107 posts, read 479,022 times
Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. Will have to check out the place in Durham.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:53 AM

5,728 posts, read 17,530,946 times
You can get a Braunschweiger sandwich at Jason's Deli. Haven't seen that anywhere else though. I usually just buy it at the grocery deli and make my own.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:02 PM

449 posts, read 1,343,438 times
Sadly, Mr. Dunderbak's at Crabtree has closed. . . I've heard about the place in Selma. . .but don't know of any others. J. Betski's is a high-end restaurant with heavy German and Polish influences - but it's for a nice night out, not a sandwich. . .

Old 07-30-2008, 02:48 PM

152 posts, read 540,026 times
OK..lets see if this works. I just attempted to paste a list I found at mygermanclub.com (ICR). I think I googled german deli's in nc. After 2 attempts I couldn't find my post.

I've never been to any on that list, other than the Weeping Radish Brewery and Bavarian Restaurant in Manteo. That was about 20 years ago so I have no idea what that's like now. We just went for the kraft beers, as we were passing through. If I recall correctly, the beer was good and the atmosphere was your typical interpretation of Bavaria. It sufficed at the time. We just visited family last summer and DH was in Nurnberg in May, our tastes are different now.

Anyway, I saw 2 listed in Fayetteville. One was Uli's Schnitzelhaus. A few years ago someone had mentioned this but I completely forgot until I saw this list. Has anyone been there?

I did see the one in Black Mountain, Berliner Kindl (I think it was). They had a deli and a restaurant. I was thrilled since we were thinking of a last minute trip to the mountains before school starts again.

I triple the kudos for Gugelhof "bretzel brot". We buy lots and freeze them. Believe it or not, on occassion I've found bretzel rolls or sticks at Harris Teeter or Fresh Market on Cary Pkwy. It's good enough without making the haul.

Lastly, sometimes my brother brings items from an authentic German butcher up north. This man immigrated to the US some time ago...so that's always fun. With good german potato salad and boston lettuce salad (yogurt dressing) and a good beer, it can make for a nice evening.

I'll be watching for comments about other places. Sorry about not being able to post the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary