Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 08:06 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

I have looked everywhere but can't find it. I do have a color copy somewhere I think. What should I do to get new NC license? will i have to get out of state one replaced just to turn it in to NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 08:19 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
I think as long as the license is valid in your home state (NOT suspended or revoked) you may be able to apply with all the other supporting documents? I know I did this in WI in the 1990s when I lost my home state license and applied for a WI...but times have changed. Best to call DMV to get an answer and then call again to see if you get the same answer from some one else?

Old 11-19-2009, 09:14 PM

99 posts, read 307,233 times
You'll need proof of residency and proof of identity.

From the DOT website:

Acceptable Proof of Identity Documents:
  1. Valid, unexpired Driver License or State-Issued Identification Card from another state, Puerto Rico, a U.S. territory, or a Canadian province.
  2. Certified or original birth certificate.
  3. Original Social Security card.
  4. Official North Carolina School Registration records signed by a school official and Diplomas issued by North Carolina schools, including secondary schools, community colleges, colleges and universities.
  5. Unexpired U.S. Military Identification, including DD-2, DD-214, Common Access Card, and U.S. Military Dependents Card.
  6. Valid, unexpired Passport from any nation.
  7. Certified marriage certificate from a Register of Deeds or appropriate government agency in the United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. territories or Canada.
  8. Limited Driving Privilege issued by North Carolina.
  9. Valid, unexpired documents issued by the U.S. Bureau of Immigration Services (BIS) formerly known as Immigration & Naturalization Service (INS).
  10. Court documents from U.S. jurisdiction, Puerto Rico, U.S. territories or Canada.
  11. U.S. Veterans Universal Access Card.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:33 AM

450 posts, read 1,553,706 times
Can you contact the DMV in your old state and have them mail you a copy? I lived in VA for 5 years. When I moved from one address to another, I notified the DMV and they sent me a new driver's license a few days later with the new address on it. I did all this via their website.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:40 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
To get the NC drivers license you have to take a test regardless of losing your old one or not. Make sure you study or at lease search here and you can find the answers lol

Old 11-20-2009, 09:33 AM

16 posts, read 64,727 times
Well, it is the computer test (multiple choice) and sign test they will have to do again. They need proof of their old license in order to not have to take the road test again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary