Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:10 PM

32 posts, read 86,478 times

Advertisements

will work in north raleigh just outside the beltline. where are the best schools and historic neighborhoods? Any neighborhoods that are walkable, or have a sort of "main street". moving from NYC, would love to be able to walk at least some of the time!

would consider cary or durham as well, just don't want a subdivision situation...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 07:27 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
What kind of price range are we talking about?

Old 11-21-2009, 07:08 AM

32 posts, read 86,478 times
a house max 400k...but we can rent up to 2000/month

Old 11-21-2009, 02:47 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
Would think most any area is available with that budget...North Hills area has a few homes Many under the $400K price.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:06 PM

15 posts, read 41,716 times
You would love North Hills if you like walking. They have a pretty big outdoor shopping center with a bunch of patio restaurants. It's an extremely nice area and close to everything. It's North Hills/Six Forks area. There are a ton of homes back there that are older and have been renovated and there are also a ton that are brand new so you should have a pick.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:59 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,141,649 times
Take a look in the Five Pts area or in the Glenwood/Brooklyn neighborhood. You might also want to look at neighborhoods around Cameron Village. 400K is going to be tough depending on what sort of housing you seek. Most of the better places are going to be above that. But, 400K is not going to be impossible. It's hard to know because I don't know what your expectations are.
From any of these locations, you'll find that your commute will be really easy to just north of the Beltline.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:37 PM

477 posts, read 1,418,511 times
Well, I just got back from dropping my teenager at the movies at North Hills, and it sure doesn't look like anyone walks there, lol! It was gridlock as bad as Crabtree on Black Friday!

But seriously, I agree that you ought to take a look at the Five Points area. Although $400K is hard to do, several homes have been put on the rental market over the past few months. It is a great, walkable neighborhood.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:54 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,952,412 times
Anything inside the Beltline is going to be prohibitive, I'm afraid. One of the things I dislike about Raleigh is that most neighborhoods aren't built for walking - you have to drive everywhere. The area really needs many, many more walking trails and sidewalks. Of course, it could use a few expressways and other limited-access highways, too. But I doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:21 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,476,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyreb View Post
will work in north raleigh just outside the beltline. where are the best schools and historic neighborhoods? Any neighborhoods that are walkable, or have a sort of "main street". moving from NYC, would love to be able to walk at least some of the time!

would consider cary or durham as well, just don't want a subdivision situation...

Thanks
As other posters have pointed out, there is hardly such a thing as a "walking" neighborhood in the Triangle nowadays. There definitely are not "main street" sort of places here either. Everything is spread out and you will need to drive to get to anywhere. I find many places lack decent walkways, so even if you live just down the road from a store, you won't be able to walk there b/c of how the roads are set up. The only places with minimum sidewalks (in the neighborhood itself) are the subdivisions, which you don't want, lol. I would suggest hiring a really good real estate agent. They may find something.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:54 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Most of North Raleigh is SURBURBAN. If you want a walking neighborhood, there are a few BUT it sounds like you want more of an URBAN lifestyle, which is what most go downtown for.

I don't understand why everyone wants to WALK! LOL.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary