Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 08:27 AM

83 posts, read 500,655 times

Advertisements

We are a family with 3 young children (7,4 and 3) who will be moving to the Raleigh area later this year (no definite date yet). We have been looking at homes on line and have found some nice homes in these areas but the prices seem really low. Prices also seem low in Raleigh zip 27610. I know there is statistical info out there on these different areas and the schools but I'd really like some personal opinions from people who live/work there and are familiar with the areas.
I think my husband will be working in RTP or Morrisville. We are looking for an area where we can get 2300+ square feet with a decent lot size (1/3 or more) and also have good schools. Trying to stay around $250K. Also - we would like to be within a 15 minute drive of a Target, food market, restaurants etc but not necessarily right in the middle of it.
Most of what we have found is in the areas I mentioned in the title of the post. So I'm wondering if that will be an option for us or if we are going to have to go up in price or give up some of our wants to get to a better area.
We did see a few homes that were in Cary and other zips in Raleigh but I'm not sure if there are certain zip codes to avoid.
Also - anyone have any info on Lennar builders?
We live up in PA and probably will probably only have the ability to make one trip down there prior to the move so we are trying to do as much research as we can ahead of time.
Again, personal opinions are what we are looking for. Thanks in advance. These boards have been a tremendous help so far with our relocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 08:35 AM

420 posts, read 1,397,086 times
From my research, we elminated Wake County schools due to their bussing/redistricting issues. We do include Angier in our search, as some homes in that area go to Johnston schools. We have a target high school that we use as the defining factor. My children are 16 and 10, coming from very good stable school situations, so it was important to me that their last years of schooling mirror their first experiences. For us, schools were the most important factor in choosing an area in which to purchase a home (dh will be working in Morrisville).

Old 05-15-2007, 11:07 AM

Other than what is on the greatschool.com website - what info have you obtained regarding Johnston County schools? Our children are in private school here in PA. We will not be able to afford private school in NC - it's much more expensive there. I'd love to hear some opinions of different school districts.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:11 AM

648 posts, read 2,979,664 times
Thread on 27610

Those other places, save maybe Knightdale, are just too far out to command any higher real estate prices.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:18 AM

420 posts, read 1,397,086 times
I have also gone to both the Wake County and Johnston County school websites, researching each school invidividually. I am also working with a realtor who lives in Wake, works in Johnston and he's been a wealth of information concerning both districts. I'm not sure if I am allowed to say his name here though...he frequents these boards so maybe he'll pop in with some thoughts.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:20 PM

850 posts, read 3,624,898 times
Try looking in Clayton (we're about 20 minutes from Smithfield). Its a bit closer to RTP. You can also find what you are looking for. Also remember there are alot of lots that you can build on so finding a realtor that knows the subdivisions that are still building is key.

For instance, my subdivision builds basic 2100sqft homes on .60 of an acre for around $200-215K. If you have them build a little bigger home with upgrades you'd be right in your price range.

Oh and the schools in Johnston County are fabulous. Alot of folks are coming here to avoid the Wake county issues.

BTW...my sub is Tafton in Wendell (its really Clayton but our mail is farmed out to Wendell).

Lauren

Old 05-15-2007, 01:58 PM

What elem/middle/high schools are Tafton? How far are you from a food market/Target/other shopping? In rush hour approx. how long would the commute be to Morrisville/RTP?
What's your take on Angier/Knightdale/Smithfield? Also - anyone know anything about Garner?

Old 05-15-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlerascals View Post
What elem/middle/high schools are Tafton? How far are you from a food market/Target/other shopping? In rush hour approx. how long would the commute be to Morrisville/RTP?
What's your take on Angier/Knightdale/Smithfield? Also - anyone know anything about Garner?
River Dell Elementary. They are building a new middle school right now that slated to open next fall for us....Archer Lodge middle school, I believe is the name they decided on (its the name of the area). Currently, we are districted for Clayton HS but that MUST change eventually, they can't possibly house all the new people moving in. I thought I heard a new HS was being talked about.

So far the new schools all mimic the wonderful in place schools. We love River Dell!!! I have a 5 year old (in the EC preschool program) and an 8 year old (in 2nd grade) now.

I don't know alot about Angier. Knightdale is fairly near us but again we just go shopping there....there's a bunch of the IT stores about 20 minutes from us; home depot, target, bed, bath, beyond, etc.

Garner is nice in areas but you have to be careful. The area close to South Raleigh is what I was told we wanted to avoid. Supposely, nice houses and all mostly rentals with drug trafficking, crime, etc. An online friend's dh is a cop in Wake County.

We also shop in Garner at the White Oak SC which is about 15 -20 minutes from us. Target, Best Buy, Kohls, Michaels, and much more.

Grocery shopping will be changing. Right now, there's a Food Lion (not my preference) about 10 minutes or less but I travel to the Lowes Foods on 70 which takes me 12-15 minutes depending on lights. Most of hte back road travel here is 55mph. Anyhow, they are building a new shopping/business center at the corner of 42 and buffalo road. I've heard they are putting in a Harris Teeter but that it wasn't definate - time will tell but most likely they'll entice some better supermarket to go there. That's just right down the road from the elementary which is 6 minutes from my house.

HTH!
Lauren

Old 05-15-2007, 05:29 PM

Hi Lauren -
You mentioned a preschool program. Does the county offer preschool programs down there?

Also - any info on Flowers Plantation? Good or bad............

Thanks!

Old 05-15-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlerascals View Post
Hi Lauren -
You mentioned a preschool program. Does the county offer preschool programs down there?

Also - any info on Flowers Plantation? Good or bad............

Thanks!
Actually, there isn't a regular preschool program. They do offer an "exceptional child" or EC program for preschoolers. This can range from speech therapy to the severely disabled. My son qualified for some learning delays.

I live near Flowers (but not in it) and hear only good things. I believe that River Dell Elem is for the Flowers Plantation.

Lauren
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary