Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 05:33 PM

3 posts, read 4,255 times

Advertisements

I live just north of Southpoint and I hear gunshots once every two or three months. I also doubt they're nail guns as I usually hear them late at night. I don't think they is much construction going on at 1am. Likewise I doubt there is much hunting going on in the dark.

It's a little disconcerting, but I lived in a several large'ish cities across the US and had similar experiences. I was never really scared or feared for my life while I lived there. Unless questionable characters are constantly driving by your house or live next door to you I wouldn't worry to much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 07:35 PM

346 posts, read 612,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexIntruder View Post
I wouldn't exactly call Raleigh "safe". 163 murders from '99 through '07.
Try living in Philadelphia...their murder rate averages nearly 200 PER YEAR! Not a single day transpires without some news of a deadly shootiing or 3 including cops being gunned down...No brotherly love there..

Old 11-21-2009, 07:56 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
I live South of Southpoint and since hunting season has opened up this year I have heard gun shots more frequently. While my neighborhood is zoned city and you can not legally discharge a fire arm, we are surrounded by privately owned land that is not in the "city". Last weekend I'm pretty sure someone bated some deer at night and had a joy ride with their ATVs, spot lights, and guns on their property.

The land across 751 from the area you mentioned is very wooded and privately owned. It's possible someone was hunting there. ???

Or it's possible the perfume girl at Macy's sprayed the wrong person. ????

In Portland I knew a police officer on the gang task force. And he said that most shootings that occur in any city are where the shooter intends to kill a known target. Very rarely does an innocent bystander get killed. Not saying it doesn't happen. But it's not going to make me live in fear. Especially in Durham where the "scary crime" numbers are a joke in comparison to other places.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:20 PM

393 posts, read 673,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
Try living in Philadelphia...their murder rate averages nearly 200 PER YEAR! Not a single day transpires without some news of a deadly shootiing or 3 including cops being gunned down...No brotherly love there..
No doubt there are more dangerous places, but that doesn't make Durham or Raleigh "safe". The fact of the matter is that Durham and Raleigh each have more murders over the last decade than ALL the surrounding suburbs COMBINED. That says a lot.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:25 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDollie View Post
Even the ATT passes through gameland in southern Durham county- managed by NC Wildlife- licenced hunting- also private land.

The American Tobacco Trail
So this could all be about nothing? What does a Turkey Shoot sound like?

Old 11-21-2009, 09:49 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexIntruder View Post
No doubt there are more dangerous places, but that doesn't make Durham or Raleigh "safe". The fact of the matter is that Durham and Raleigh each have more murders over the last decade than ALL the surrounding suburbs COMBINED. That says a lot.
It says they are real cities, Wake Forest has the population of a city block in NYC or PHL.

I haven't really explored Durham but I would bet most of Raleighs crime happens in the downtown area - there are some pretty shady areas down there. I'm pretty happy and feel safe where I am on the NE side.

Personally, there are some parts of Cary that are sketchy to me too, so it's not just a Raleigh-Durham thing.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:53 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
So this could all be about nothing? What does a Turkey Shoot sound like?
It sounds like 12 gauge shotguns being fired .

Old 11-21-2009, 10:23 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
I really enjoy the Southpoint area of Durham. You just have to be smart. I don't think I've seen any stories of shoppers or residents of that area become victims of violent crimes at SouthPoint.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:23 AM

70 posts, read 324,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmen34 View Post
I live just north of Southpoint and I hear gunshots once every two or three months. I also doubt they're nail guns as I usually hear them late at night. I don't think they is much construction going on at 1am. Likewise I doubt there is much hunting going on in the dark.

Exactly. I heard it at night too. Definitely gunshots and clearly quite proximate.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:26 AM

14 posts, read 40,199 times
We lived in this area for over 20 years and have had no bad experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary