Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 05:02 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,472,388 times

Advertisements

As long as you don't make it a public affair or brag about it all the time, no one will care. I know I won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 05:06 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,064,497 times
My dear sweet Wiccan friend moved here from a major city and lived here several years. She then moved back to the big city for a few short years, and now she's anxiously looking forward to returning to Raleigh, North Carolina, once again, in the new year.

She's never said a word to me about feeling any prejudice. Most people seem to be pretty open minded around here.

It's just like anything else. In general, it's good to keep one's thoughts about politics and religion to oneself until you've made deeper friendships.

I think the area is "churchier" than other places (this is still the Bible Belt), but you can live a happy and successful life without being a member of a mainstream church.

(And if you highlight the original writer's text and click the icon that is second in from the left, it'll put it in a quote box so that you don't need to use bold.)

Old 11-22-2009, 05:24 PM

8,158 posts, read 10,889,192 times
You shouldn't have that much of a problem here. Just don't go around telling everybody that you're a witch What they don't know won't hurt'em.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:43 PM

31 posts, read 83,594 times
Oh, I just love to brag and tell everyone and threaten hexes on everyone.. it's so dang typical for us witches to do.. LOL

..actually the Wiccan rede is "Harm none, do what you will" and I consider it harming to "push" my beliefs on others, as do most witches. I just thought I would let people know now.. since most are seeming to think it's typical for a witch to do.

PS___I am posting this info to open awareness around the issue, and education about the issue is not the same as "pushing a belief system".

Old 11-22-2009, 05:46 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,221,073 times
"pagan" covers a lota ground. depends on what you call pagan.
not all pagan gods were nice folks nor the people that followed them.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:48 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,803,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashfeather View Post
Oh, I just love to brag and tell everyone and threaten hexes on everyone.. it's so dang typical for us witches to do.. LOL

..actually the Wiccan rede is "Harm none, do what you will" and I consider it harming to "push" my beliefs on others, as do most witches. I just thought I would let people know now.. since most are seeming to think it's typical for a witch to do.

PS___I am posting this info to open awareness around the issue, and education about the issue is not the same as "pushing a belief system".
Just an FYI -- while you're welcome to discuss Wicca, you should do so on the site's Religion & Philosophy forum. Local forums are for topics specific to a particular area. So while asking if pagans will be discriminated against is local, paganism itself is not.

Thanks.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:53 PM

hmm, I suppose you are right. I was just trying to clarify that so nobody would keep posting the redundant "as long as you don't push religion.." because I find responses helpful but I thought I might save people time.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:55 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,064,497 times
You wrote:

Quote:
...it's pretty dang close!

I don't need educating in other religions.

I think you have received the answer to your original question.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:57 PM

393 posts, read 671,799 times
Default Question for you Ashfeather

During a normal day for you in the Triangle, what will you be doing? Will you:
  • Get up in the morning and go to work
  • Do your job
  • Have lunch
  • Work some more
  • Go home and enjoy your friends and family
  • Have a nice dinner
  • Relax
  • Have a good night sleep
This is what many people here are doing. If you are doing the same thing, I wouldn't think there would be an issue. I have a very "different" view on religion than anyone I know. They don't know what my view is unless they specifically ask and only one person ever has. Do you plan on doing things that "will" bring more attention to yourself than most everyone else here would? I am getting the feeling that you are concerned because you have full intention of standing out. If someone goes out of their way to stand out, then they most likely will be noticed.
If you plan on making sure other people notice you are different than them, I would be prepared for different responses. There are people I know are religious here, but they don't get in my face to make sure I know it. There are no problems as a result.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Question for you Ashfeather

During a normal day for you in the Triangle, what will you be doing? Will you:
  • Get up in the morning and go to work
  • Do your job
  • Have lunch
  • Work some more
  • Go home and enjoy your friends and family
  • Have a nice dinner
  • Relax
  • Have a good night sleep
This is what many people here are doing. If you are doing the same thing, I wouldn't think there would be an issue. I have a very "different" view on religion than anyone I know. They don't know what my view is unless they specifically ask and only one person ever has. Do you plan on doing things that "will" bring more attention to yourself than most everyone else here would? I am getting the feeling that you are concerned because you have full intention of standing out. If someone goes out of their way to stand out, then they most likely will be noticed.
Yup! Oh, and I am sorry if you are getting that impression.

I actually learned a few things from this discussion though. I really never knew this place was called "the bible belt", and still wonder if it is just the triangle area or the whole North Carolina. I never heard that before.

Last edited by Ashfeather; 11-22-2009 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: Added more of the quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary