Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2010, 02:38 PM

11 posts, read 17,051 times

Advertisements

Hello,I am a native Virginian a Nurse with a 12 year old Daughter. I am relocating to the Raleigh, Durham area, We are used to family friendly neighborhoods, where the kids hang out and play, cook outs, as well as a good schools. Can anyone recommend a place that I would be able to have that, I have visited Durham, although I loved it it didn't appear to have that Down home feeling. If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 03:49 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Where is work? Probably want some place "close" to employment? Or are you ok with a 45 + minute commute? I think you are looking around Durham / RTP area?

Old 09-26-2010, 07:35 AM

915 posts, read 2,382,383 times
Depending on where you live in Durham, you may or may not get the down-home feeling. In my downtown neighborhood, we have community events at least every other month. Examples include a progressive porch party, where we roam to three houses focused on a dinner course (app, entree, desert). There's also an annual Halloween parade, community garden meet-ups, and we had a huge park build day that attracted 200 volunteers from all across town. We're even planning a bar crawl next month that will use the new downtown connector bus service. A lot of the urban neighborhoods have really strong neighborhood associations (not homeowners associations, just people that want to make the neighborhood a better place) that plan events and look out for each other.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:32 AM

51 posts, read 143,255 times
Your Price range and location of employment would good information. There are great neighborhoods in the Triangle in all price ranges. So commute time and price range can help you narrow down your choices. You may also want to research schools. That will also help you narrow your search to a specific area. Keep in mind that Wake County has both year around and traditional calendar schools. The high schools are all on the traditional calendar. So you may want to start with the calendar style that best fits your family, then school, and then narrow down to neighborhoods. Good Luck.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:07 AM

24 posts, read 87,438 times
Here is the website for the Wake County School System Wake County Public School System
It will provide a lot of great information for you.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:08 AM

11 posts, read 17,051 times
How is the creedmoor area?

Old 09-30-2010, 10:28 AM

27,200 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I'd look at some of the older neighborhoods of Durham. I'm guessing you may have looked at some of the newer areas near I-40 in SW Durham. Check out:

Old North Durham Old North Durham Neighborhood Association - Home
Old West Durham Old West Durham Neighborhood Association Homepage
Watts-Hillandale Watts Hospital Hillandale Neighborhood
Duke Park About Duke Park Historic District | Duke Park Neighborhood Association

Old 09-30-2010, 08:00 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'd look at some of the older neighborhoods of Durham. I'm guessing you may have looked at some of the newer areas near I-40 in SW Durham.
Why are you guessing the OP looked at newer areas in SW Durham??

Everyone defines "down home" differently. To me "Down home" has a rural tone to it.

The burbs in SW Durham have block parties, halloween parades, pot luck socials, kids riding bikes in the streets, neighbors meeting for tea, neighborhood pool parties and cook outs in the summer, looking out for each other while on vacation, sharing home grown vegetables and baked cookies .... just like the neighborhoods you listed.

The style and age of home and the walkability of a neighborhood does not dictate if kind, involved people live there. There are great people and annoying people in the urban areas and the burbs. You just have to be opened minded and get past narrow stereotypes.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:47 PM

7 posts, read 13,859 times
We live in Fuquay Varina, in Northwyck subdivision. Kids are always riding their bikes, familes are walking the dogs and people are jogging. It's a great area with a lot to do, plus not far from Raleigh. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about the area.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:55 PM

47 posts, read 102,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebre View Post
How is the creedmoor area?
Not a bad area, it's close to Butner along I-85, the area is still growing there, friendly people yes. Depending on where you are going to work in your field and you said you were looking for "down home" feel, outlying areas in the Triangle would suit you, I can't solely recommend any "one" area, but this is a great forum to get the info you want.

Best of luck and keep in touch on the board as to what area you wish to concentrate on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary