Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 04:13 AM

28 posts, read 116,532 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 04:37 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,796 times
Default We laugh because it’s funny, we laugh because it's true...

You get what you pay for.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:41 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Clayton is a nice family community that is transitioning from a more rural town to a more suburban town. Lots of new development in the past 7-10 years. It is very popular with transplants becasue the $ per sq/ft is cheaper than other areas but still has some nice schools to choose from. Parts of Clayton provide decent commute to Downtown Raleigh.

The Dining, entertainment, and shopping options are somewhat limited in Clayton IMO. Also, it would not be high on my list if I had to commute to work in RTP as it can be quite a drive. I worry that Clayton has grown too fast and that the retail and dining options that target the area seem to be mostly big box stores and chain restaurants which detracts from it's appeal to me.

I think Clayton can be a great choice for an individual based on their situation. I hope to see Clayton engage in more long term land use planning and focus developing into more of a self sustaining local economy rather than becomming just another bedroom community of commuters into RTP.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:04 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,405 times
There are some really nice communities in Clayton, we looked at a lot of them, Glen Laurel was our favorite. Good schools and much less chance of being redistricted than Wake Co.

However, there is some kind of stigma attached to Clayton and Johnston County, as evidenced by an earlier poster. If that doesn't bother you, then I think it is a great choice.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:09 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,861,667 times
I think people who live there love it. NRG gave the best description thus far. For me, Clayton et al is just to far out distance-wise.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:38 AM

166 posts, read 664,104 times
Clayton is definitely growing. It is getting more and more retail options, and I would think that with the opening of the new hospital at the intersection of Hwy42 and 70Bypass that more retail will soon follow. The schools are good...the opening of the new Corinth-Holders High School next year will cause quite a bit of redistricting for the high school though with the entire Riverwood golf community getting redistricted to the new school. It will be interesting to see what effect that will have on test scores, etc at Clayton High School over the next few years. My husband commutes from the Cleveland Community to RTP...if you are interested in Clayton, you might consider that area...it is growing...on the OTHER side of the new hospital and bypass, and is right off of I40. Our schools in that area are excellent, there are three elementary schools all doing very well...and our middle school was tops this year, competing in scores with the best of Cary. We also will be getting a new high school next year, Cleveland HS, which will cause some redistricting but I think that Cleveland HS has a very good chance of becoming the top school in the county over the next few years. There is retail development being planned for the 4042 area near the interstate in the next couple of years. We love it here, our kids have settled in very nicely. There is plenty of extracurricular stuff for them to participate in, we have our own athletic association as well as several others within 15 minutes. We have gymnastics and dance, soccer and softball, football and volleyball, baseball and swimming (summertime teams in the community--year round at Riverwood and Smithfield). My husband's commute to RTP is actually better than it was from where we lived in Wake County. It is 35 minutes to Davis Drive in RTP in non-rush hour, and about 45-60 during rush hour, depending on the weather.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:24 AM

257 posts, read 713,379 times
NRG's post is a pretty good summary. Lots of growth and growth potential, though I have no idea how well it's being managed. In-city traffic's fine, decent amount of nature, reasonably safe, and pretty much any conveniences you can't find in Clayton you can find no more than 30 minutes away in Garner, Knightdale, or downtown/North Raleigh. It's a pleasant, though not big-city exciting, place to live.

Things I wish I didn't have to drive to another city for are: A big bookstore like B&N, Best Buy (I usually buy online, but sometimes want something the same day), a movie theater, more good food options (the chains are mostly covered, and there are a few good non-chains, but nowhere near enough... also, I really wish Buffalo Brothers and/or Carolina Ale House would open up a location down here). As for commuting to work, it's tolerable going to North Raleigh, but would be terrible going to RTP.

As for the ugly, only thing I can think of is a comedy club named LOL (Laughing Out Loud). I, and every guy I've mentioned it to, cringe at that name... ok for internet conversation, but an actual business name? Not gonna help attract the younger crowd, I guarantee that...

Old 11-24-2009, 09:20 AM

346 posts, read 613,076 times
While living in NJ our commutes have been an hour+ each way. So if we had to commute to say RTP it would not dissuade us from considering Clayton...Of all the areas in proximity to RTP, we really like Clayton the best. As NRG has said...we have found the best dollar per sq.ft. ratio in Clayton and also Angier. The fact that Clayton is Johnston county and not Wake county means lower taxes as well. I dont see nor do I hear of any stigma associated with this community. We are seriously considering Clayton

Old 11-24-2009, 10:27 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,405 times
The houses we looked at - the taxes were actually higher. Not sure why exactly.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:01 AM

502 posts, read 1,654,874 times
Yes, the taxes are higher. Johnston is .78 while Wake is .534. To each you'd have to add the city rate, if applicable. However one generally gets more house/land for the money in Johnston. So it's a bit of a trade off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary