Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 09:13 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times

Advertisements

Depending on the weather we rake and bag or we blow onto the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 07:57 AM

450 posts, read 1,553,109 times
I've seen several people who have bagged their leaves and then drive them to the woods and dump them there. This weekend alone I saw 6 people dumping leaves in the woods just south of my house (I live about a mile south of Southpoint mall, between 751 and Fayetteville Rd).

I dont' have that many trees so I rake up most of them and put them in our yard waste bin. I will mulch mow the rest (about 1/5 of the total leaves) because it would be too much to mulch and would probably kill my little cordless mower, LOL.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:27 PM

148 posts, read 676,625 times
Blow them into one pile with my Stihl backpack blower then shred them with my Little Wonder leaf vacuum - turns 20 bags of leaves into 4, then off to the dump!

Old 11-30-2009, 01:43 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Are you a bagger, burner, or a loose leaf collection person? Or do you just let them sit and blow into your neighbor's yard?

I don't know about you, but I like raking leaves (if I had room to compost them I would). Today is a great day to get out there to rake (should be in the mid 60's) before it gets colder this week. In Raleigh there is seasonal cubside losse leaf collection (link to info below) but you can also put leaves out in clear bags or paper bags anytime of the year on your regular collection day.

Loose leaf collection info:
City of Raleigh Leaf Pickup Info (http://www.raleigh-nc.org/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_202_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Resident/Garbage_and_Recycling/Yard_Waste/Cat-1C-20041201-130711-Seasonal_Leaf_Collection.html - broken link)

Cary Leaf Collection Info (http://www.townofcary.net/depts/pwdept/leafcollection.htm - broken link)
My yard at this point resembles your picture in 'leaf' only form...being my leaves have fallen and must be raked up or blown up, and placed in a nice pile like yours... Being most of our property is wooded that is where the leaves are placed. Rake them onto a tarp and either push, pull, or drag the tarp to the wooded part and bid them farewell and ado and say hit the road, leaves...don't ya blow back no more..no more..no more. no more. (singing it is optional)

But this year I have a reprieve and must have a professional perform the yearly leave migratory path to the woods due to my physical distance from my leaves. But rest assured next year they are mine...all mine!!!

For all the raker's and power raker's...may the force of the wind be with you!

Old 11-30-2009, 01:52 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
Compost!!! That pile of leaves will fit in a trash can within 2 months.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:53 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
Leaves in the front get blown to the curb and the city comes and vacuums them away. Leaves in the back get blown into the woods.

I love a good leaf blower session.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:07 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times
i like to rake as well, but have no yard currently. to satisfy myself, i've taken to driving excessively fast down residential streets through the huge piles of leaves. hope your children aren't hiding in them....

Old 11-30-2009, 04:23 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
I blow them into a pile in my burn pit and set them on fire. Also a great way to get rid of used oil. Pour the oil onto the leaves and get rid of two things at once.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:50 PM

346 posts, read 612,724 times
I guess it depends on whats on your property...but it never ceases to amaze me how much time and physical effort people waste on raking leaves....no matter how many trees i have on my property I always mulch them with the big lawnmower...sometimes I do have to go over it a 2nd time...but thats still quicker and less energy expended than raking,blowing or gathering them into a pile...YMMV As far as landfills are concerned it sounds like anything in a bag will head to the landfill and that those companies that are doing the pickup just dont know or care.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:51 PM

346 posts, read 612,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I blow them into a pile in my burn pit and set them on fire. Also a great way to get rid of used oil. Pour the oil onto the leaves and get rid of two things at once.
Thats illegal here in NJ and considered polluting the environment...recycling used oil is not that hard to do..every municipality should have recovery systems for this. Anything less is irr-responsible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary