Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 08:32 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,540,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Overall, what is the economy like in the Triangle area right now? Are all sectors suffering or are there some that are doing okay or even better than usual?
Noticed your post on the Greenville, SC forum with this question....figured I would answer here. I moved back to NYC not too long ago because of the lack of industries located in the southern states. At the time I was living there was laid off from my job, had resumes going out in both North Carolina and South Carolina..............after months of looking for work and finding nothing went back to NYC. Most of the jobs in the southern states revolve around manufacturing or healthcare. Manufacturing is a hurting industry of course due to everything being made in Asia. For example in Greenville the Sara Lee plant will be closing there in early 2010, which will put a lot of people out of work. The south has made some progress within the past 10-20 years but not enough to offer enough jobs for the influx of people who want to move there.

Low wage jobs are still the norm there, the unemployment rate is over 10% in most areas.

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 12-01-2009 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 12:53 PM

406 posts, read 786,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
1. Sucks.
2. Nurses and doctors are employed.

You are correct, but wait... someone will soon write this area is great for jobs...and they live in a huge house.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:01 PM

174 posts, read 406,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
You are correct, but wait... someone will soon write this area is great for jobs...and they live in a huge house.
Maybe, but it won't be someone working in IT...

Old 12-01-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomedata View Post
Maybe, but it won't be someone working in IT...
or finance, sales, construction...

Old 12-01-2009, 04:22 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,124,746 times
For years, some of us have been warning folks not to believe the bunk in the magazines.

It's a shame they are now finding out the hard way that NC is not "the land of milk and honey".

Old 12-01-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
For years, some of us have been warning folks not to believe the bunk in the magazines.

It's a shame they are now finding out the hard way that NC is not "the land of milk and honey".
Thank You for doing this, please continue. If you can help one person get accurate information it is worth it.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:50 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,540,263 times
South Carolina and Georgia are not the land of milk & honey either....but what NC, SC and GA all have in common is the fact that they all have a few metropolitan areas that have begun making some progress in the last 10-15 years. So now those who would probably never have considered a move to these states start to believe that they can escape the high cost of living in the northern states. Life is a trade off and a utopia does not exist so moving from one state to another with these expectations is a recipe for disaster.

I only wish someone would inject some truth and reality in the South Carolina forum.....the people there would rather cover the truth just to keep newcomers moving to the south!

Old 12-02-2009, 08:46 AM

112 posts, read 123,295 times
Thank you all so much for your recommendations! I really and truly appreciate them. Will check out Carrboro, Durham and Wake.

Francois- We've heard great things about NC. More specifically, Asheville. However, my husband needs to be near a larger city in case he loses his job (which is long-distance, so he works from home). Not likely to happen in the short-term, but better safe than sorry.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Life is a trade off and a utopia does not exist so moving from one state to another with these expectations is a recipe for disaster!
This quote should be a sticky.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:22 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,740,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puggal View Post
Thank you all so much for your recommendations! I really and truly appreciate them. Will check out Carrboro, Durham and Wake.

Francois- We've heard great things about NC. More specifically, Asheville. However, my husband needs to be near a larger city in case he loses his job (which is long-distance, so he works from home). Not likely to happen in the short-term, but better safe than sorry.
puggal, I would also add Hillsborough, NC to your list. I see you currently live in Hillsboro so at least your city name wouldn't change. Hillborough has a nice historic area.... somewhat artsy. But it's is more than 25 mins from RTP.

As others stated, this area is very different from Portland. It's much more spread out and not as much density of historic housing stock as Portland.

Good luck with the research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary