Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving from New Jersey to Raleigh North Carolina, seeking housing information; prefer building on lot with acreage, housing budget 400K or under

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:05 AM

77 posts, read 272,098 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I have been reading all of your posts for weeks now...in fact I think I'm pretty much addicted to them. It has been so informative and seems to be an incredible research tool for relocators like myself. Here is my question...

We are considering relocating to NC from NJ (yes another one) and have already researched and visited the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area. We loved it, and are keeping it on the list of possibilities, but would like to check out areas closer to Raleigh, but outside of Wake County, in case we need to commute in for work.

We would prefer a building lot or acreage, a small farm is also a possibility. Mainly we are looking for a larger piece of land, but would consider 2+ acres in a subdivision without a million restrictions. We do need decent schools since we have children and prefer a small town atmostphere. We would prefer to stay under $400,000 incl building a home and it needs to be a commutable distance to the Raleigh area.

If anyone has any suggestions of the areas or specific subdivisions I should investigate, I would appreciate it. Many of the homes and neighborhoods I seem to be coming across have great houses, but a tiny lot. I like having neighbors, but would prefer a little more breathing room. Buying an existing home is also a possibility, although not our first choice. I guess we would rather buy an existing home on a larger lot than build our own on a 1/4 acre.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 10:45 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney888 View Post
Hey everyone! I have been reading all of your posts for weeks now...in fact I think I'm pretty much addicted to them. It has been so informative and seems to be an incredible research tool for relocators like myself. Here is my question...

We are considering relocating to NC from NJ (yes another one) and have already researched and visited the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area. We loved it, and are keeping it on the list of possibilities, but would like to check out areas closer to Raleigh, but outside of Wake County, in case we need to commute in for work.

We would prefer a building lot or acreage, a small farm is also a possibility. Mainly we are looking for a larger piece of land, but would consider 2+ acres in a subdivision without a million restrictions. We do need decent schools since we have children and prefer a small town atmostphere. We would prefer to stay under $400,000 incl building a home and it needs to be a commutable distance to the Raleigh area.

If anyone has any suggestions of the areas or specific subdivisions I should investigate, I would appreciate it. Many of the homes and neighborhoods I seem to be coming across have great houses, but a tiny lot. I like having neighbors, but would prefer a little more breathing room. Buying an existing home is also a possibility, although not our first choice. I guess we would rather buy an existing home on a larger lot than build our own on a 1/4 acre.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I would suggest granville county simply because it is "outside" of wake but the schools are good. Also, chatham county, close to chapel hill. How much do you want to spend on the land? I know in wake forest, and northern wake county many homes are on at least an acre, but it sounds like you want more land than that. I have a friend who is selling his house on 10 acres in franklinton. He commutes to rtp, but it takes about 45 minutes.

anyhow, Moderator cut: Realtor solicitation

Old 05-17-2007, 10:57 AM

Leigh,

Thanks, 45 minutes would probably be the longest commute, but it's a little difficult to figure out since we don't have jobs yet. I am assuming the most likely place we'll find them will be the Raleigh area. I'll check Franklinton out.

Just land.... I would say no more than $150k. I don't even know if this is possible, in NJ it isn't. We would prefer to have a larger piece, 5-10 acres or more if possible so if we decided to start a small farm or get horses, it's at least possible. You are a realtor? I haven't really wanted to bother a realtor yet until we have decided on a specific set of towns. Don't want to wast anyone's time until we have done our homework.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:31 AM

13 posts, read 42,778 times
Im relocating to NC myself, but from the other direction (Florida) I was curious, how are you going to manage the move now, find a job later trick? Im still thinking about the complexities of that, as Im in the same situation.
Nobody wants to hire you without a local address...... Cant really even rent an apt. without a job. Do you have any tricks up your sleeve? or a job lined up??

Old 05-17-2007, 11:43 AM

nrg2brn,

We haven't really worked through all the details yet, but right now I work from home and would still no matter where we lived, just need internet access, a phone and a place to put my pc equipment. I'm pretty sure I make enough to cover rent etc temporarily until my husband finds a job. The equity from our house will hopefully cover the cost of building or eliminate most of a mortgage on an existing home.

Ideally, we will buy land while we are still here, then my husband can start working on finding a job before we go. Never know, may buy land and not go for a couple of years..... depends on my husband's work situation. His field has been getting slower and slower over the past 10 years.

Good luck with your move, I'm sure we'll all need it. Let me know if you come across any "tricks", my job working from home may not last more than the next year or so more.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:54 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney888 View Post
Leigh,

Thanks, 45 minutes would probably be the longest commute, but it's a little difficult to figure out since we don't have jobs yet. I am assuming the most likely place we'll find them will be the Raleigh area. I'll check Franklinton out.

Just land.... I would say no more than $150k. I don't even know if this is possible, in NJ it isn't. We would prefer to have a larger piece, 5-10 acres or more if possible so if we decided to start a small farm or get horses, it's at least possible. You are a realtor? I haven't really wanted to bother a realtor yet until we have decided on a specific set of towns. Don't want to wast anyone's time until we have done our homework.
I am a realtor, and honestly, I dont think you are going to have too much difficulty finding some land for 150k, getting at least 4 acres. What you have "going for you" is that you are looking outside of wake county. You will definitely want to have someone who knows the area guiding you simply because it is hard to tell where things are in relation to "raleigh", sometimes it seems closer on the map!

Anyhow, let me Moderator cut: removed

Old 05-17-2007, 12:03 PM

Leigh,

Thanks, I appreciate your advice. It's good to hear finding land in our price range is possible. I am not really interested in Wake County due higher taxes and crowded schools. To be honest, we were briefly in Clayton, cute little town, but the highways were crowded and we also had lunch in what I think was part of Cary just off of Rt. 1 (I think) and it was a little too much like NJ for me. Very built up, lots of traffic... we are looking for something more country, or rural, a quieter area. Those areas we were in seemed busier than where we live in northwestern NJ. Working or doing some shopping in a busy area like would be fine, but I don't want to have to fight traffic just to go to the grocery store for a gallon of milk.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the advice, I have been running searches through many websites, but until now was focusing mainly on the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area. I think I have been on the Remax site, but will certainly check it out again. I just need to know which areas would be the most promising to give me a starting point.

I agree that NC will be a good move. We are only in our late 30's, and while we are doing fairly well in NJ, we know we could never retire here. We can't find much of a reason to in the mean time, pay $10,000 a year in property taxes and put up with cold and snow for the next 25+ years. Our family is all here, but both sets of our parents will be coming with us, so we won't be alone.

We also feel that there will be work available for my husband. He is an electrician and a foreman for large, multi-million $ commercial projects. With all of the building and growth in NC, we think there might be more opportunities for him there. It seems as if most firms are looking to leave NJ, not put money into new buildings.

I will check out the Crossroads Christian School. I'm not sure we will be able to afford private school, but it's worth looking into.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:45 PM

615 posts, read 1,503,628 times
karan---wow! I could have written that myself! From NJ, in our late-30's, about 10,000 in prop. tax here in NJ too(UGH!), husband in construction etc. etc. And we are making our move this summer to the Raleigh area(Johnston County). Parents/in-laws not coming with us though YET...but plan to within 3 years and will visit VERY regularly for sure.
If you tell me your are a teacher(as I am) I'll be REALLY freaked out..LOL.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 05-17-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom5497 View Post
karan---wow! I could have written that myself! From NJ, in our late-30's, about 10,000 in prop. tax here in NJ too(UGH!), husband in construction etc. etc. And we are making our move this summer to the Raleigh area(Johnston County). Parents/in-laws not coming with us though YET...but plan to within 3 years and will visit VERY regularly for sure.
If you tell me your are a teacher(as I am) I'll be REALLY freaked out..LOL.

GOOD LUCK!
newmom5497,

Where in NJ are you? ...I'm in NW Jersey. Taxes are crazy here aren't they? We don't even have city utilities, sidewalks or streetlights in my town. Johnston County? That's one of the places I will be looking. Did you find a house yet?

Too funny, we do sound alike, although I am not a teacher. Thought about it for awhile, but didn't take the plunge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary