Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2007, 06:29 AM

30 posts, read 60,825 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to retire in the Raleigh area. We will be selling our home on LI, NY. Can anyone recommend an area for us?
Home price range 150-220, Ranch style home or 1.5 floors. Master bedroom needs to be on first floor.
Schools would not be an issue for us. We would like to work part time. We are 57, 64 years young, not dead yet!
My son and daughter in-law live in Raleigh. I’ve been reading city data for a while now and I find most requests are
for young families. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe any other retirees could share some of there experiences.
Happy Mother’s Day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 07:24 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suealbre View Post
My husband and I are looking to retire in the Raleigh area. We will be selling our home on LI, NY. Can anyone recommend an area for us?
Home price range 150-220, Ranch style home or 1.5 floors. Master bedroom needs to be on first floor.
Schools would not be an issue for us. We would like to work part time. We are 57, 64 years young, not dead yet!
My son and daughter in-law live in Raleigh. I’ve been reading city data for a while now and I find most requests are
for young families. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe any other retirees could share some of there experiences.
Happy Mother’s Day!
Where in Raleigh is the family, and how close to the kids do you want to be?
Your price range opens up many options. if you will take an older home and fiddle with it to bring out the potential, you have opportunity to get into some very nice neighborhoods with mature trees and landscaping.

If you want new construction, you are going to go out just a little, but it can be done.
So, would the home have to be in Raleigh, or would Cary, Apex, Wake Forest, or Garner work?

In a quick search of Wake County, the MLS turned up 293 homes with first floor masters, all over the county, from $150K to $220K. So narrowing it down a little is in order.
I would consider the center of Cary, some areas in North Raleigh, and some areas of Apex. I'm keeping in mind that you want to retire but work part-time. These are areas with good access to work opportunities, medical facilities, and entertainment venues.
But if you want to be within a couple of miles of the kids, then that location will trump.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:12 AM

Thank-you, for your response. We would prefer new construction. Don’t have to be near the kids. Like to be “out” of the very busy areas.
My biggest question is, have others moved to the area to retire? Is it a doable on a pension with SS in the neighborhood of 35,000.00.a year?
We hope to buy a home outright. As you read how many young families are leaving LI so are people like us. The taxes are too high. We are looking
to live a modest life. Want to be near our children and grandchildren to enjoy them. I also failed to mention my youngest son, 21 will be coming with us. He is currently working as an electrician’s apprentice.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:30 AM

73 posts, read 82,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Where in Raleigh is the family, and how close to the kids do you want to be?
An even better question is how close do your kids what you to be to them?

Old 05-13-2007, 11:21 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suealbre View Post
Thank-you, for your response. We would prefer new construction. Don’t have to be near the kids. Like to be “out” of the very busy areas.
My biggest question is, have others moved to the area to retire? Is it a doable on a pension with SS in the neighborhood of 35,000.00.a year?
We hope to buy a home outright. As you read how many young families are leaving LI so are people like us. The taxes are too high. We are looking
to live a modest life. Want to be near our children and grandchildren to enjoy them. I also failed to mention my youngest son, 21 will be coming with us. He is currently working as an electrician’s apprentice.
Please, before you divulge further personal, confidential information publicly, review this brochure:
http://www.ncrec.state.nc.us/pdf/brochures/WorkingwAgents-9x20.pdf (broken link)

When you talk to your mortgage banker, you will get better guidance on month to month affordability vs. your resources.
And, YES, people retire around here all the time. For medical care, quality of life, and to be close to grandkids. I am here 10 years and expect to be here through retirement.

I think you will be able to easily find new construction in Wake County under $220,000.
I turned up 60 listings from $120,000 to $219,000, all 1 or 1.5 story, with master down.
You are looking at 1200 to 2100 SF.
Fuquay Varina, Willow Spring, Garner, Knightdale, Wendell, Zebulon, come up.
This price point will give you a decent new home, and not be a burden to living modestly.
It is a matter of visiting the subdivisions and seeing how the location appeals to you.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:55 PM

56 posts, read 209,858 times
Hi,

I'm not a retiree but my parents retired and moved to Cary a couple of years ago from the West Coast. All their children were on the East Coast but not in NC (NJ, MD and VA). My Dad is originally from SW NC. They absolutely love the area and seem to be very happy.

Best wishes,

Dawn

Old 05-13-2007, 07:23 PM

419 posts, read 1,397,589 times
Have you looked at Clayton? It's about 30 minutes from Raleigh but in the next county over (Johnston). It has small town flavor and the prices tend to be a little lower than comparible homes in Wake County. Johnston County schools might lag a little behind Wake but aside from that, Clayton is like any other small town in the triangle.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:44 AM

Thank you all for your responses. This forum is filled with wonderful people with a wealth of knowledge willing to help.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:35 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,327 times
North Durham County is great b/c of it's affordability and proximity to Hospitals and doctor offices, as well as a central location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary