U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 10:29 AM

5,600 posts, read 4,960,976 times
Any new information to add to this thread? I recently read an article on Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup and would love to try it.

Any experience with the two restaurants mentioned in this 2011 article from the N&O? Two places for Taiwanese dishes - Dining - NewsObserver.com

On other question - the Kroger's mentioned in the second or third post of this thread - is the information about the Chinese food available inside the store still accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 11:11 AM

722 posts, read 721,181 times
Hi JK!

I'm Taiwanese and have tried both places, with my mom who is quite the critic (she used to have a Chinese restaurant) so take this with a grain of salt! I hope you know that both places only offer a few "Taiwanese" things and it's mostly Chinese food in different styles (e.g. Szechuan). They do both carry the Beef Noodle Soup but I haven't tried it - usually my mom just makes it for me! Simple concept but as with udon or pho, execution in broth, noodles, and meat can be tricky! If you try it, report back!

Anyway, my mom was impressed with the scallion pancake at Taipei 101 (on the dim sum menu) because it was nicely crisp and not very oily, which she said was tricky to do. The other things we ordered were your standard Chinese restaurant fare. She, of course, thinks she can cook better. It wasn't so great that we have gone back regularly as a cheap Chinese fix (plus it's not that close to me). It seems like the scallion pancake (plain), hot/cold/sweet/unsweet soy bean milk and the noodle soups beef and pork with pickled veggies) are the most "Taiwanese" things on the menu.

Looks like Taipei Cafe has a few more Taiwanese-style items on their Authentic Chinese menu with the different soups (noodle and otherwise), mapo tofu, taiwanese-style rice noodles. Pretty good portion sizes, not too oily. Same thing as Taipei 101 though. Good but not great. Again, didn't try the beef noodle soup.

As for Grand Asia Market, there is a restaurant inside (to the left when you enter) that is open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner. They serve dim sum on weekends too. I think they probably use the most oil of the three. And the same brown sauce for most dishes. The attached bakery is pretty awesome. The same owner opened a grocery in Durham as well, they also have a cafeteria. It's called Li Ming's. Here's a review: Li Ming’s Global Market | Carpe Durham

Old 12-21-2012, 02:04 PM

25 posts, read 24,289 times
I honestly have no idea whether Taipei care is in any way taiwanese but I discovered Taipei cafe a couple months ago and have to say it's is awesome. I have been with multiple friends from work and we have not found anything bad there.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:45 PM

2,536 posts, read 4,181,796 times
Taipei Cafe is great. On the back few pages are the authentic chef specials. Lots of authentic Taiwanese dishes. I've enjoyed the fried pork chops (Pork Chop Rice) and the Pork w/ Leeks. So good!

Old 12-22-2012, 08:35 PM

2,408 posts, read 7,155,536 times
I had the beef noodle soup at taipei101 last weekend and it came out as expected, with nice chunky beef & flavorful broth. I prefer mine a little spicier & they were happy to provide some extra chili oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary