Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 10:03 AM

239 posts, read 1,092,463 times

Advertisements

It's a total stressor every year-what do your buy your in laws or where do you shop for them? I am in the Chapel Hill/Durham area.

Every year it stesses me and every year I want to stop exchanging gifts but the mother in law insists on it. They have everything.

Anyone have any thoughts on what to get a mother in law? She is very fashionable (has all the clothes she could never wear). She is into jewelery but has too much of that as well. She drinks wine but we have gotten her wine glasses and every wine accessory. They like to travel but aren't into getting gift cards. ANyone know if a good store that might have unique gifts.

Help a clueless daughter in law out to find a good gift idea...Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 10:16 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
A Southern Season?

Old 12-18-2012, 10:29 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,021 times
side note: my condolenses for such a high maintenance Monster-in-law. . so sad that we feel "stressed" . .we've lost the meaning of what this time of the year represents.
3 years ago we got off the crazy-train and wrote our immediate family a letter basically telling them that "we won't be participating in the gift giving and will do other activities in our community for those in need. . please don't purchase us gifts"
I highly recommend it . . best thing . . no more stress . . . .

Old 12-18-2012, 10:29 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
A Southern Season?
That's where I'd go!

Old 12-18-2012, 11:21 AM

137 posts, read 306,353 times
I was also going to suggest a Southern Season. You could buy them a nice gift basket....we have done a breakfast basket, cheese and wine, bought specialty coffee, chocolate....lots of great options!

Another idea is a gift certificate to a nice restaurant that she might enjoy.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:36 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
My rule of thumb for gift giving is if you have to ask what they want you shouldn't be getting a gift anyway...as a son I give my parents things that mean something. Last year we made a calender with family photos and everyones birthday and important dates on it. As a parent I don't think it's about the money/object, they want to get something that shows you spent time on them, that is what Xmas is about for us. Anyone can go out and drop $$ on a gift and even pay someone to wrap it these days.

As a son though I like getting things I need/want/can't afford normally though (thanks mom & dad!). Ha!

Old 12-18-2012, 11:53 AM

135 posts, read 269,290 times
For the past few years, we've gotten my in-laws a membership to their local art museum. They like the perks that come with it, and it's a way of supporting the arts, which they really enjoy. Maybe something similar?

Old 12-18-2012, 12:08 PM

804 posts, read 2,004,169 times
we have parents & in-laws like that, too. i've found that the best gifts are experience gifts which can range from $0+time to $$$$. perhaps give them things like a day out with the grandchild (if they're into that sort of thing), a wine tasting, a cooking class, a tour in a specific city they intend to go to visit, tickets to a community theater, a behind-the-scenes tour (i.e. places like biltmore offer this). google "expierience gifts" + a city where they live/travel & you will find plenty of websites with things that range from food tours to boat tours to adventure outings, etc.

consumeables are also good because it may not add to the clutter & can let them know you notice what they like. perhaps a few bottles of their favorite wine or gift certificate to a winery/wine store for their own selection or even things like costco-sized boxes of peppermint patties (yep, done that) or other treats they love (especially if they aren't at risk for diabetes).

best of luck with the shopping.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:18 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Airline tickets to someplace far,far away.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:32 PM

494 posts, read 816,313 times
I ordered my family an assortment of items from Omaha Steaks as they don't need anything either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary