Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 05:41 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

I don't really have a problem with Tony Gurly being the chairman, but is this really how we want our Wake County Board of Commissioners to run their meetings? A 12 hour marathon meeting waiting for each other to be the first to leave to go to the bathroom so a vote can be taken in your absence? Maybe they should just arm wrestle or flip truck tires to see who should be the next the chairman!

"The group was deadlocked over electing a chairman and vice chairman. The potential deciding vote - seventh commissioner and former chair Harold Webb, who remains in the hospital after suffering a stroke - was not at the meeting........ Finally, late in the evening, GOP members used an unexcused bathroom break by Commissioner Betty Lou Ward to elect Gurly chairman."

This was the kicker for me:

"Finally, they adjourned after Commissioner Stan Norwalk, a diabetic, said he hadn't taken his insulin."

Story: Link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 05:50 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Wowzer... I'm sure glad we don't carry on like that over here in Cary.
Yep. It sure is good to know that we are the Erudite and Polished Standard-Bearers of Dignity.

House spray painted "screwed by town of cary"

You know, if these folks had their act together, they would have learned from the school board and had the decisions all made before the public meeting!

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 12-08-2009 at 06:08 PM..

Old 12-08-2009, 06:58 PM

441 posts, read 1,291,912 times
Maybe they need to start handing out Depends at the door

Old 12-08-2009, 09:47 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
They need to start handing out brains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchz1 View Post
Maybe they need to start handing out Depends at the door

Old 12-09-2009, 06:21 AM

16 posts, read 64,734 times
The most awesome thing I have read all morning. But the morning is still young!

Old 12-09-2009, 06:55 AM

257 posts, read 713,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
And a sense of common decency.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:07 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Talking Ain't No Mountain High Enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhwilkin View Post
And a sense of common decency.
OK. Time to focus.
Decency and brains?
In one fell swoop?

Just how high, and how quickly, do you folks expect to raise the bar?

Old 12-09-2009, 08:43 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
I liked Ruth Sheehan's summary of the meeting in today's N&O:

Quote:
Normally, attending a Wake County commissioners meeting is a bit like watching a Flomax commercial. Aem. With the average age of our commissioners (OK, just the Democrats) somewhere this side of Methuselah, there are lots of bathroom breaks. So it was fitting, I guess, that the careful and reasoned choice of the board's next chairman rested on Betty Lou Ward's decision to make a quick potty run during deadlocked deliberations.

Ward, at 73 the second youngest of the Dems, asked for a five-minute recess to do her business. But it wasn't officially granted. So during her "unexcused absence," the Republican commissioners took advantage of the moment and reinstated Tony Gurley as the chairman.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:53 AM

166 posts, read 664,154 times
I loved the title for this thread! It will make me laugh all day. Thanks for the chuckle! It's so true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary