U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-19-2007, 03:21 PM

41 posts, read 83,423 times
Default Receiving mail for new build - USPS question

We have recently had a newly built house completed and tried to redirect some of our mail (Bank etc) and they say the address is not registered. Also we sent a test piece of mail to our address and it did not arrive after 7 days. We are in a sub division which has 30-40 other homes in a semi-rural part of the triangle (Hillsborough).

I have looked on the USPS website but cannot see how/if we need to register the new address. Does anyone know if you need to register?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 03:32 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,550,967 times
If your deed was recorded at closing, it should be registered. Here's a link to online records search so you can verify:
http://web.co.orange.nc.us/RODinquiry/index.aspx (broken link)

Old 05-19-2007, 06:23 PM

312 posts, read 1,188,703 times
I works for USPS. We've had people coming to our Postmaster's office and showed them their deeds for address verification. Once he or she see it, then he/she will record it on the USPS computer system to update the address directory. You might want to try and contact your local postmaster about it.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:36 AM

1,219 posts, read 2,603,835 times
Yes, that's right. You should call your postmaster, they can help you get the address registered. Make sure you put up a mailbox, too, if you haven't already.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 16,417 times
I have a similar issue. The post master did "register" my address so I get mail when its sent.
The bigger issue is in the age of the web, none of my online accounts from credit cards to shipping will accept the address. They all say its not valid.
The post master says he did his job and sent it in and we just have to wait. Its been 6 weeks, how long should it take?

Old 02-08-2011, 09:52 AM

503 posts, read 766,972 times
Same thing here. We built on a road not yet opened for development in a young subdivision (corner lot, but because of where the driveway is, we get the new street for our address). Luckily though, when the sale was registered (I guess by the county for deed or tax purposes?), it made it through the USPS system, BUT, I have a very hard time convincing delivery people that we actually exist because they can't find it using any maps. My first attempt at a UPS delivered item saw it returned for "bad address" (they didn't bother calling!). I only found out when I tracked the package online. Now, when I place an order that will be UPS or FEDEX, I put "ABC subdiv off XYZ Rd" in the first line of the address, followed by my street number/name in the second line. This will get an attempted delivery, but sometimes still I'm contacted by the driver of the delivery to try and find me.

I also couldn't change my address to anything (credit cards or banks) online because of the "invalid address"; I had to actually call and change addresses for those.

My biggest problem is getting forwarded mail. There's some mail that's simply not getting forwarded, and it's only been 5 months (don't they do it for up to 12 months for certain classes of mail?). I missed insurance and other bills in the first month that got caught in the overlap of our changing address with them and/or with the PO. I also didn't get our Christmas cards out in the mail until the week of Christmas, so most folks didn't know our new address when they mailed theirs to us, and they used the previous, temp address. We got very few forwarded to us....and of those that did make it came up to a month afterwards! We've moved several times before and never had this much trouble. Ridiculous.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:13 PM

229 posts, read 284,521 times
Expect the USPS to be clueless for about two months, and during that time 1/2 of your mail will be returned to sender. That's how it worked for me, regardless of who I called or who I spoke with.

Now that that's over with, I just have to deal with the mail man who throws my packages over to my front door lol.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:33 PM
ERH

324 posts, read 429,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyz80 View Post
Now that that's over with, I just have to deal with the mail man who throws my packages over to my front door lol.
I think I know that guy -- he must work for UPS, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary