Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 09:05 PM

27 posts, read 72,663 times

Advertisements

Anyone knows why there are so many subdivisions everywhere? I'm planning trips to Cary, Apex and Holly Springs and I'm pretty sure I will see nice houses also ONLY inside of a sub. at least this is what happened when I went down to Wilmington. Is this going to happen? Are there any regular streets with nice houses???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2006, 09:18 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,388,268 times
Suburbs = subdivisions.
Therefore, if you're headed for Cary, Apex, & HollySprings, then I'm betting most of the houses you'll find are in subdivisions.

For grid-set streets with homes along them in a traditional city pattern, you need, well, the cities. Look in Raleigh (particularly the urban core near downtown, or "Inside-The-Beltline" as we call it) or another city nearby (Durham, Chapel Hill, etc) and you'll find this. But if you're looking in Cary, Apex, HollySprings, Morrisville, Wake Forest, Knightdale, etc, or even the outer parts of Raleigh, you're simply gonna find subdivisions and tons of them.

As for Wilmington, I'm betting you mostly visited the newer, suburban, outer edges of town. If you were mostly in the older downtown part, you wouldn't have seen any subdivisions, hardly.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:24 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,620,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hug631
Anyone knows why there are so many subdivisions everywhere? I'm planning trips to Cary, Apex and Holly Springs and I'm pretty sure I will see nice houses also ONLY inside of a sub. at least this is what happened when I went down to Wilmington. Is this going to happen? Are there any regular streets with nice houses???
My neighborhood is small only like 14 houses all older homes but with alot of character and lots of kids! You have to search for non development house but we are around. I am the only one selling on my street.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:33 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,535,764 times
I can't think of a single house I've lived in (been in 6 in NC so far) that wasn't in a subdivison. That's just the way largely-transient areas are.

Old 07-24-2006, 07:33 AM

890 posts, read 4,315,233 times
You're right, now that I think about it most of the homes in Wilmington are tucked away in a subdivision. Don't let that fool you though, the traffic in Wilmington is so bad that people look for alternate routes to get around. In fact the county admitted that they design the neighborhoods there as "cut-throughs" if you will, to relieve the traffic off the main roads. So what you think is a quiet neighborhood is actually a rush hour nightmare. I know, unfortunately I had to do it all the time when we lived there.

Old 07-24-2006, 01:59 PM

152 posts, read 475,392 times
I have never lived in a subdivision before, lived in Long Island all my life, but we are relocating to Summerfield (greensboro) next month and purchased a home in a subdivision. It was very beautiful and all the houses were immaculate. We the got restrictions from our broker and nothing to terrible that we couln't live with. We actually got a kick out of the no holiday decorations allowed after 2 weeks from the holiday. (we've been known to keep the xmas lights up til Valentines Day, I'm sure to the disliking to our neighbors!!) We checked out the neighborhood and there were a lot of kids and play equipment in most of the yards, and that was what we were looking for, a quiet community with lots of kids (we have 4 under the age of 10). Hopefully it will be all its cracked up to be, the schools are supposed to be great, we will see. But my question is why do so many people seem to be against subdivisions? Any input would be great, so I know what we're getting ourselves into. Thanks

Old 07-24-2006, 02:20 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,388,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie1014
But my question is why do so many people seem to be against subdivisions?
They are one of two main catalysts (the other being strip malls) resulting in the scourge of Suburban Sprawl.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob
They are one of two main catalysts (the other being strip malls) resulting in the scourge of Suburban Sprawl.
can you elaborate on that?

Old 07-24-2006, 03:01 PM

872 posts, read 3,575,725 times
More people = More traffic, more crime, higher taxes

Old 07-24-2006, 03:07 PM

gotcha, just the thing i'm looking to get away from......great.:|
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary