Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 08:44 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,926,720 times

Advertisements

most of us southerners (real ones) are too traumatized to even leave the house when it snows that much, school is cancelled, we all have plenty of notice to go grocery store and very few people venture out. do they even sell snow shovels on a regular basis here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 07:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,894,842 times
I bought 2 bags of salt a few years ago after one of our snow events. I figured I'd stock up for the next one while salt was available - if you wait for the storm you may have trouble finding it. I still have a bag and a half left.

I do have a gallon shaker of non-salt ice melt that I use sparingly on icy spots on my front steps when needed. It too has lasted a few years.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:19 AM

335 posts, read 799,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
most of us southerners (real ones) are too traumatized to even leave the house when it snows that much, school is cancelled, we all have plenty of notice to go grocery store and very few people venture out. do they even sell snow shovels on a regular basis here?
Exactly. With the proper planning, there's no need to leave the house during a big snow/ice storm unless you're on call for work and the servers just blew up OR it's a genuine life or death emergency.

Please note that the following situations DO NOT constitute an emergency:
  1. I want pie/hot chocolate/tea/alcohol! (shoulda thought about that sooner)
  2. You know what would be funny? To go buy ice cream and eat it while it snows! ()
  3. But Grandma's lonely now! (see #1)
  4. Let's drive around the neighborhood and look at the icicles! (It's much more fun to walk around the neighborhood instead. Bundle up and wear good boots.)
  5. It would look good if I tried to go in to work. (You know what would look even better? Staying off the roads and demonstrating that you have some common sense.)
  6. I bet we'll have our favorite restaurant all to ourselves (you will, because everyone else is smart enough to realize that no meal is worth a totaled car.)
  7. But I haven't finished buying presents! (If this isn't an ideal situation to use online retailers, I don't know what is.)

Seriously, if we do get any frozen precip, y'all please stay safe! I'm tired of turning on the news whenever we get accumulating snow/sleet/frozen rain and hearing about dozens of wrecks, probably many of which involved people who had no real reason to be on the roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary