Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2009, 07:39 AM

41 posts, read 110,936 times

Advertisements

I have a puppy that needs shots and to be fixed. I am looking for a good vet that has resonable fees. I live off falls of the neuse in raleigh so anywhere in that area. I sometimes see pets getting shots at a petsmart. Is this a good option? Any insight would be helpful I just moved to the here so I dont know what my options are. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 10:01 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,401 times
I swear by The Magnolia Animal Hospital. It's on Capital Blvd. between 440 and 540. Their fees are a tiny bit higher than the place I used to go to in SC, but WAY cheaper than any other place I've ever taken my pets to. Having said that, puppy shots aren't cheap, but this is one of the least expensive places you can get them at and also get amazing care. Petsmart was one of the places I've taken my cats to and would never go again. Their prices were ridiculous and I found out (after switching to another vet) that they were giving them shots they don't need.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:12 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
You can save some money by watching for the
rabies/microchip clinics that are usually in the area
every few months.

My son saved money by getting the shots from
Southern States. If you go that route you have to be
organized enough to keep records and keep the vaccine
at the right temp and stay on the correct schedule.
It is not for everyone, but I have had a vet tell me
they are the same shot they use.

I think there are some low cost spay options.
If you call the SPCA they might direct you
to them.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:44 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Programs in Raleigh area

Here are links to lots of different low cost spay/neuter programs ANYONE can take their dog or cat to!! These programs are mobile units that go around the Triangle and OUTSIDE of the Triangle area! These are not mobile units, but they are low cost and anyone can use them:
  • SPCAwake.org - Anyone from anywhere with any income can use this low cost clinic!
  • S.A.F.E. Haven for Cats safehavenforcats.org - they do pet cats, stray cats, feral cats
  • Operation Catnip operationcatnip.org/raleigh.html - they do stray and feral cats ONLY. They also have a $50 voucher program for taking ferals to local participating vets.

If you are in a low income household or have a financial need (and meet requirements) you can get your pet spayed/neutered through the following programs for $20 or a sliding scale fee!
  • PALS program through SNAP -- snap-nc.org $25 for a cat and $40 for a dog if you qualify
  • The $20 Fix through Animalkind www.animalkind.org (And to support the effort, you can donate items and buy items from their thrift shop.)

Old 12-19-2009, 05:20 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
I swear by The Magnolia Animal Hospital. It's on Capital Blvd. between 440 and 540. Their fees are a tiny bit higher than the place I used to go to in SC, but WAY cheaper than any other place I've ever taken my pets to. Having said that, puppy shots aren't cheap, but this is one of the least expensive places you can get them at and also get amazing care. Petsmart was one of the places I've taken my cats to and would never go again. Their prices were ridiculous and I found out (after switching to another vet) that they were giving them shots they don't need.
They are the best! We have used them for 12 years.

Avoid Banfield (Petsmart) at all costs.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:34 PM

621 posts, read 2,217,901 times
my dogs have been with Banfield for the last 8 years... I haven't had any problems.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:39 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
my dogs have been with Banfield for the last 8 years... I haven't had any problems.
Ripoff pricing and tiny exam rooms that stress my cats before we found Dr. Jon (Magnolia)

Old 12-23-2009, 06:49 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,112 times
Banfield at Petsmart has a great monthly pricing plan so you can ensure the health of your animal year round. I have heard that Banfield is mostly "traveling vets" but I could be wrong. I do actually like them.

If you want just the shots minus the "office visit" bill by some really great people, try "For the Love of Dogs" in Wilson. They are only open Mon-Wed. So, if its just shots you need, you can get all of them for less than $30. Great people. I got my dog from them (they are an adoption agency with a vet staff on site) and I was truly pleased with my experience with them. Its nice to be in an environment where you can tell the staff truly cares about their patients.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:10 AM

809 posts, read 2,187,211 times
Dr. Amy Lewis at Falls Village Veterinary Hospital is wonderful. My family and I have used her for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary