Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 05:27 PM

45 posts, read 103,150 times

Advertisements

Really? For some reason I was under the impression the Johnston county schools (CLayton is where we would look) were sub par...no insult intended here just repeating what I had heard along the way.
My boys are only 4 and 17 mos so we have a bit of time before Middle School hits and a lot can change. I must say I am quite partial to having the summers off with my kids!
I am a licensed clinical social worker employed in a high school as a crisis counselor. I also have a private practice working with adolescents and adults.
I am a bit spoiled because I work for a nationally ranked school system here in Bergen County so it has made me very particular about schools...maybe too much so!
Anyway, thanks again to everyone...
Suzanne, I joined way after your search had begun but would love to hear more about how you have come to your decision(s).
Weather up here stinks right now...hope it is good down there!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 07:01 PM

431 posts, read 1,338,222 times
Hi Kelly,

The weather here on long island is lousy here also......when we drove home saturday we came home to about 4 inches of snow.....its almost gone now.....

We've been researching different areas for the past few years.....we thought about florida, tenn, va, sc, nc.........and have gone back and forth....

The schools and the environment my kids will be in is a huge factor.......We arent leaving cause we're in a bad area......My town is a very wanted area and so are the schools.....I love the 4 seasons here.....but realistically i cant see staying here and struggling for god knows how many more years so that my kids can be in the same boats......plus not being able to put money away for the kids college and our old age.....

My husband and I have worked very to make our home what it is....literally.....so with this move I want new new new....lol

(I'm having probs w/ the system deleting what I'm typing so I'm gonna put it into a few posts)

Old 02-26-2008, 07:10 PM

Once we decided on NC we honestly were heading to visit Wake county.....but after doing alot of research and speaking with a realtor and then reading the school websites and local papers.....We decided it wasnt in our kids best interest......we're moving them from everything they have ever known and what I want them to have is stability and although their system may work for some.....we didnt feel it would benefit our boys....I want them to know where they will be going to school and that to feel like home to them while they are there.

When we decided on Johnston county "clayton" kept coming up........Everything we read and every ? we had prior to going down was pretty much answered....I will tell you, I received so much helpful information here that I felt like I knew where I was when we go to clayton

Old 02-26-2008, 08:37 PM

had a bunch of properties printed out from mls and we kinda went with that.....when we got there we knew the areas we wanted to go and we mapped it all out I brought a note book in the truck and just jotted down comments on each area and we stopped at any s/d we saw and grabbed the stat papers that are on alot of the real estate signs.....we did come across alot of great s/ds that we were not aware of.......

I will say this...... someone here said you'll know the home/area when you see it...

We saw a bunch of nice areas and homes all over clayton but when we drove down 42east with the 2 lanes and the greenery on boths sides it just seemed like this could be the area......I cant wait to see what it looks like in the spring......but as I was saying when we pulled into flowers plantation (Pineville east) and the whole area just felt right.... and Summerlyn is right in 2nd place......

dont get me wrong .....we still looked at many other places for the rest of the trip and we went from a 4 day trip to a 7 day trip......we've been home for 3 full days and cant wait to come back
We've gotten a storage unit and bought storage bins to start clearing up things that we dont need in the house right now and are going to redo the dining room so .....we still have to wait for my husbands papers to come thru but hopefully we will know w/in the next couple of weeks and then get the house on the market......and then its a waiting game...

Hope this has helped.......if you need any specific info please ask since its all fresh.....

Suzanne

Old 02-27-2008, 05:12 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,107 times
For anyone interested, I dont *think* Johnston county offers any "year-round schools" here. The majority of them (and please, correct me if I'm wrong) run the traditional calendar with the summers off.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:21 AM

Suzanne
THANKS SO MUCH! You and I have exactly the same reasoning for leaving i think. We live in a nice area, make great money, good schools etc but the rat race is killing us and will set up our boys for more of the same. Plus the aggressive atmosphere and pressure to keep up with the Joneses is very unhealthy for all of us.
My parents are buying land in CLayton to build their dream retirement home...they mentioned Flowers Plantation.
Cant wait to see it in November when we go down for a weekend...wish it wasnt so far away!

Old 02-27-2008, 07:12 PM

Kelly

depending on which division you look into and what $ range the new phase over at the village (pineville east/west) will have more completed homes so you will get a better idea.......hopefullly we'll be there by then.....keep your fingers crossed........

I just had my family over for my middle sons tenth birthday and my parents and my brother and his new wife have been on the computer researching since we made our trip.....so looks like we're gonna have followers......lol

suzanne

Old 02-28-2008, 10:43 AM

Followers are good!!!
I am working on a few of my friends as well and my parents will be there in 18 mos.
Now just the hubby...he is on the fence I think. We'll see...it is a hard decision to make. We would be leaving a lot here but hopefully for more in the long run!
Can anyone recommend any s/d websites to check out???
K

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSue View Post
Kelly

depending on which division you look into and what $ range the new phase over at the village (pineville east/west) will have more completed homes so you will get a better idea.......hopefullly we'll be there by then.....keep your fingers crossed........

I just had my family over for my middle sons tenth birthday and my parents and my brother and his new wife have been on the computer researching since we made our trip.....so looks like we're gonna have followers......lol

suzanne

Old 02-29-2008, 11:38 AM

what type of home are you looking for? brs/bths what $ range????

let me know and I'll give ya what I found

Old 02-29-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSue View Post
what type of home are you looking for? brs/bths what $ range????

let me know and I'll give ya what I found
THANKS. We would want 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, fireplace, center hall colonial with some property. It would be great if the dev. had a pool and things for the kids. I cant be too far from necessities...shopping
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary