Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2007, 02:58 PM

44 posts, read 181,309 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving from South Florida to the Cary/Apex area. I've been reading a lot about schools on this forum and it's making me just a tad nervous. I am hoping that the situation is being exaggerated or I'm not getting the whole story. There have to be some good public schools that people are happy sending their children to.

Can anyone tell me the schools in Cary and Apex with the best reputation? Meaning, the ones that parents who know the area are telling their realtors that they MUST be within such-and-such school zone? I am looking for elementary schools right now but of course would like to be in good middle and high school districts too.

Anyone have any insight? The only things I have heard through friends-of-friends is that Penny Road and Dillard are good schools. Is that accurate? Are there other good elementary schools with really good reputations? Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are coming to visit next month and I suppose I could go to a park and ask some moms and dads but it would help to be able to narrow our search a tad now before we come. A realtor we spoke with recommended an area, but of course, that's her specialty area and she's got lots of listings there, so I'd like to get more input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 03:16 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,645,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clumsygirl View Post
We are considering moving from South Florida to the Cary/Apex area. I've been reading a lot about schools on this forum and it's making me just a tad nervous. I am hoping that the situation is being exaggerated or I'm not getting the whole story. There have to be some good public schools that people are happy sending their children to.

Can anyone tell me the schools in Cary and Apex with the best reputation? Meaning, the ones that parents who know the area are telling their realtors that they MUST be within such-and-such school zone? I am looking for elementary schools right now but of course would like to be in good middle and high school districts too.

Anyone have any insight? The only things I have heard through friends-of-friends is that Penny Road and Dillard are good schools. Is that accurate? Are there other good elementary schools with really good reputations? Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are coming to visit next month and I suppose I could go to a park and ask some moms and dads but it would help to be able to narrow our search a tad now before we come. A realtor we spoke with recommended an area, but of course, that's her specialty area and she's got lots of listings there, so I'd like to get more input.
I don't know of a school in that area that isnt' good. It might not be the perfect school for your family, but none of them are bad.

You might want to view their websites, figure out what schedule they are on (remember, many are turning into year around, as the parents in those schools were giving a choice and almost 90% of families have choosen year around)....and see what works for your family.

It may seem odd, it was for me when we first moved, but it's harder to find a truely bad school, then it is a good one.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:32 PM

374 posts, read 1,595,808 times
Ditto above. My sister was a teacher in Cary (Cary elementary) and she raved about that school and the whole area in general. Folks in that area care deeply about education and they DEMAND a good school system. There really is no bad choice in cary or apex. good luck to you. The HIGHEST rated ones that I always heard about are probably green hope, weatherstone, cary, and brassfield.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:03 PM

997 posts, read 4,636,244 times
I encourage parents to visit schools and realize once assigned things could change. From what I hear parents like for Cary: Highcroft, Green Hope, Davis Drive. For Morrisville: Cedar Fork. For Raleigh: Brassfield, Pleasant Union, Wakefield, North Ridge and Hunter. For Apex: Salem, Turner Creek and Baucom. This is just what I hear from other parents. I encourage parents to visit because not every school is for every child and their are so many options in Wake County. I can personally say that I have liked Green Hope since one of my children goes there. One year he did have a teacher that I wans't pleased with but that can happen in any school.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:17 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,645,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jln69 View Post
One year he did have a teacher that I wans't pleased with but that can happen in any school.
That does happen in every school. I adore my daughter's school, but I wouldn't mind if her math teacher found other employment. (He's not a bad teacher, she has learned, but wow, the man is frustrating!) However, 1 teacher out of the 15 she's had in all the other classes...well....I'll take those odds.

That is one thing that folks have to consider listening to others talk about schools, good and bad. We each have a look at a 'slice' of the pie....not always the full thing.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:57 PM

478 posts, read 2,042,128 times
Salem Elementary (Apex) and David Elementary (Cary) look really ripe for redistricting, based on how overcrowded they are. Am I wrong?

Old 05-20-2007, 09:41 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,053,477 times
Cary Elemenatry is wonderful. We've had a few teachers we didn't care for, but parental involvement is high and I just love the principal.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:42 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,053,477 times
ALso, I'm told Cary Elementary will probably never be year round and very little chance of redistricting because it's physically not big enough to handle a year round conversion.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:00 PM

44 posts, read 181,309 times
Wow, this has been SO helpful! Thank you! I realize that everyone has different experiences and each teacher is different, but this is a great starting point for someone who's coming into the area totally clueless.

THANKS again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary