Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 08:44 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,703,450 times

Advertisements

Have you asked your neighbors about it yet? That seems like the obvious first step. Do you even know your neighbors?

Old 12-22-2009, 08:47 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
They probably just had that look about them. You know... that southern look.
Right..overalls and a pickup with a gun rack.....

Old 12-22-2009, 08:52 PM

4,164 posts, read 4,878,027 times
Our former neighbor would park their car so close to our mailbox that some mail carriers would not deliver our mail even though the parked car was not ours. I'd often meet the mail truck at the end of our driveway to get our mail.

Regarding someone parking an unknown car in front of your house for days and days, the police will tag it as being abandoned and it can then be towed away if it still remains parked there after a set period of time.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:01 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
Rude neighbors aren't limited to the south.
Well duh. I just thought maybe it was more common to do something like that here, odd as it sounded, so thought I'd confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
You might be considered the "bad guy" for raising the issue,
Bingo, exactly why I haven't said anything. It's been my experience (of mine and seeing it w/others) that even when you're not the one in the wrong, and no matter how nicely you try to do it, often you're the bad guy for "starting the confrontation."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
How do you even know the owners of the car are Southerners?
NC plates. By definition, they are Southerners.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:09 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Why dont you just get street cones and place in front of your house if this such an issue

Old 12-22-2009, 09:37 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,739,667 times
I believe that neighbors who allow their guests to do this are rude. Who wants to look out their front window and view an automobile there, almost on their property, when the person whose automobile it is, is visiting someone across the street.

I would not allow someone visiting me to park across the street more in someone else's view, rather than mine.

I do know that the police will ticket a vehicle if it's parked on a residential street and not moved from that place within a 24-hour period. That is illegal.

Plus, I honestly have to say that after having lived in New England, I found this much less common there, as opposed to here in NC. So in my personal experience, yes, it's more of a southern thing. Unfortunately. Unless of course you're talking about the parking designations along city streets, rather than suburbia residential streets. Parking on streets where there is limited availability is not comparable.
best,
toodie

Last edited by toodie; 12-22-2009 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: edited because paragraphs were not placed as written

Old 12-22-2009, 09:52 PM

18,074 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Why dont you just get street cones and place in front of your house if this such an issue
Yes, my thought exactly. Or put something large in that space so they won't be able to park there. There's someone that visits the neighbor across the street and they park on the opposite side of my driveway and it's narrow and it can be tricky backing out. When the leaves were being piled up by the curb no one could park there and it was nice!

Old 12-22-2009, 10:00 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Plus, I honestly have to say that after having lived in New England, I found this much less common there, as opposed to here in NC. So in my personal experience, yes, it's more of a southern thing.
TWO data points = a conclusion?

Wow, let's publish it in a statistics textbook!

Quote:
NC plates. By definition, they are Southerners
"Southerner" means someone FROM the South, not someone who happens to be here, perhaps temporarily, long enough to register a car (I can't tell if you were being sarcastic or not).

Is it a "Northern thing" to think that if one neighbor is a jerk, then his/her behavior must automatically be exemplary of every native of the state and region?

Old 12-22-2009, 10:20 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
I'm in northern Wyoming and have the same problem. The house next to mine has been for sale for awhile, so the owner decided to rent it. Fine. Except that he's a single guy and has three other single guys that he's sharing it with. Bad enough, huh?

But on top of that, he owns a couple drilling trucks -- auger trucks maybe? (Not huge rigs, but each probably 30 feet long.) There's a double-car garage, but nobody ever uses it. They park one big truck in front of his house, three pickups in the driveway, and one pickup and the other big truck in front of my house. Ticks me off! I run a small business out of my home, so if a customer stops by he has to park in front of my other neighbor's house or in my driveway, which they seldom do.

I'll have to ask him if he's from NC....

Old 12-22-2009, 10:33 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,739,667 times
Quote: TWO data points = a conclusion?

Wow, let's publish it in a statistics textbook!

I don't get your comment. What does "TWO data points" refer to?
best,
toodie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary