Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 06:44 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times

Advertisements

You live in New York City. Of course it's not an issue.

The Triangle area is mostly suburbs.

So if a neighbor is parking in front of your home, while there are absolutely no cars in front of their own home, and you have to look at their ugly car each and every single time you look out the window (instead of having a wide open, car-less space to look at), it becomes an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
I don't think this is an issue, period. What's the big deal? Let people park wherever they want. So long as they're not blocking your driveway, it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:10 AM

18,088 posts, read 15,670,593 times
While I understand the issue, y'all should try living in a city like San Francisco and not have a garage. Street parking is downright Darwinian. Your parallel parking skills become advanced. Just being able to park on the same block as your house/apt feels like success. Makes you appreciate the space you have in NC, heck, a driveway feels decadent!

Old 12-24-2009, 07:19 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times
Quote:
While I understand the issue, y'all should try living in a city like San Francisco
But this is really irrelevant to the OPs point. This is not an urban area where street parking is the norm and you have to park where you can find a spot. The OP is talking about a suburb where there is a garage, driveway and space along the neighbor's own curb where their visitors can park. There's a huge difference between the 2 scenarios.

I personally don't understand why people park in the street when they have a garage and driveway to use (my neighbors) to park their cars. And I'm talking about daily parking, not parties or exceptional circumstances. Sometimes you can barely navigate through the street because people have parked on the street on both sides rather than their driveways. It irks me.

I completely understand the difference in an urban environment. They don't have a garage or driveway where they can park their car.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:42 AM

18,088 posts, read 15,670,593 times
People probably park in the street for a myriad of reasons. Such as:

- They're leaving the driveway open for guests or other family members to get in and park.
- They're leaving the driveway open for service people coming to the house.
- They're visiting someone and think they shouldn't park in the person's driveway for some reason.
- They have more than 1 car and don't want to have to move cars around.
- They secretly wish they owned the entire street and like to pretend on occasion they do.
- They've developed a strange fascination for that particular spot and think their vehicle is 'happiest' in that spot.
- They're crazy.
- They're selfish.
- They're trying to be annoying.
- They have an ugly car they don't want to look at but don't mind if YOU have to.

Take your pick!

Old 12-24-2009, 08:48 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
well, just to add $.02 to the OP's question....... no, this is not act limited to The South. My folks live in San Diego in a very suburban neighborhood much like those all over the Triangle. Their cul-de-sac is right around the corner from the subdivision's swim and tennis club, so on summer weekends or days when there is an event at the club, the cul-de-sac fills up quick. They also have a number of people who park on the cul-de-sac who live in the apartments around the corner and have run out of parking spaces. It drives my father nuts, but I really don't get the hostility.

Legality aside, what is the big deal? It's just a car on the street, which is where they belong (vs, say, in a lawn where some might be forced to put the car in order to keep it off 'your' precious piece of PUBLIC road). Is it REALLY blocking the view of anything? Honestly, what would you be looking at out your window if the car was not there, your neighbor's house? Come on, folks. Of all the things a neighbor can do to tick you off, this is really not that offensive of an act. If the interactions of your lives with those living near you bother you that much, move to the country.

Mike

Old 12-24-2009, 09:55 AM

346 posts, read 613,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
People probably park in the street for a myriad of reasons. Such as:

- They're leaving the driveway open for guests or other family members to get in and park.
- They're leaving the driveway open for service people coming to the house.
- They're visiting someone and think they shouldn't park in the person's driveway for some reason.
- They have more than 1 car and don't want to have to move cars around.
- They secretly wish they owned the entire street and like to pretend on occasion they do.
- They've developed a strange fascination for that particular spot and think their vehicle is 'happiest' in that spot.
- They're crazy.
- They're selfish.
- They're trying to be annoying.
- They have an ugly car they don't want to look at but don't mind if YOU have to.

Take your pick!
OR They have a nice car and want to look out the window to gaze at it...LOL

Old 12-24-2009, 03:13 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,591 times
just be thankful you don't live in my subdivision where the HOA sends you a nastygram if you park your own car in front of your own house on the street

Old 12-24-2009, 03:35 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,680,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
just be thankful you don't live in my subdivision where the HOA sends you a nastygram if you park your own car in front of your own house on the street
Are the streets privately owned?

Old 12-24-2009, 04:43 PM

475 posts, read 1,305,020 times
I feel your pain, my neighbors parks ALL their cars on the street including a giant work trailer about 3 feet from our driveway. Then there is the bread delivery truck that parks in front of the house two doors up.

I swear sometimes my street looks like a giant parking lot.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:45 PM

871 posts, read 3,018,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielChang View Post
Are the streets privately owned?

Same here. No "long term" parking on the street. They do, in fact, control the streetly confines as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary