U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-20-2007, 09:13 PM

3,353 posts, read 1,674,652 times

Advertisements

I seem to have become an assistant organizer of the Raleigh-Triangle New in Town Meetup Group. Which is funny, since I've been here 2 weeks and don't know where to host any events, but I'd said I wanted to get more Durham events going.

Does anyone know what would be a good low key happy hour spot? I'm more of an Irish pub kinda gal than meat market martini bar gal (well those are fun too when the mood strikes).

I'll post the event here too after I come back from FL this weekend and decide where/when.

Do any of you have any ideas for a good pub or sports bar, not a chain preferably, maybe some Belgian beer??

It can be in Chapel Hill as well - I'd noticed that most of the meetup events are in Cary or Raleigh so we're trying to get more on this side of the area. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 09:52 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,757,110 times
There's a ton of places downtown. BCR probably can give a little more insight than me at this point b/c I'm slightly out of touch, but I've always liked Satisfaction in Brightleaf. For Irish pubs, try the James Joyce.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:57 PM

2,828 posts, read 8,178,350 times
what about george's garage in durham?

Leigh

Old 05-20-2007, 09:59 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,757,110 times
Oh, there's a Carolina Ale House near Sam's Club and Target where South Square used to be

Old 05-20-2007, 10:08 PM

3,021 posts, read 7,613,340 times
Leigh, I just did a search for George's Garage. It looks fabulous! I'll definitely have to check it out.
http://www.ghgrestaurants.com/garage/garage.html (broken link)

Old 05-20-2007, 10:11 PM

2,828 posts, read 8,178,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Leigh, I just did a search for George's Garage. It looks fabulous! I'll definitely have to check it out.
http://www.ghgrestaurants.com/garage/garage.html (broken link)
My sister had her rehearsal dinner there years ago and it was so much fun and the food was great! I am sure it would be a fun after work gathering place!

Leigh

Old 05-21-2007, 07:31 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,848,215 times
Leigh,

Thanks I have never been there, but think that it another one I will have to try. It looks great.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:19 AM

41 posts, read 135,669 times
This is kind of a random suggestion, but I love the Guglhuph. It's more of a bakery/cafe, but they have an awesome beer garden outside - one of the best I've seen in the area. They have a couple German wheat beers on tap, wine, bottled beer, and great coffee. It's not downtown, it's off of 15/501 business (next to Foster's if you know where that is). It's definitely a laid back, european-type cafe, and I think it would be a great place to meet up for drinks on a nice day.
The website is www.guglhupf.com.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:23 AM

1,562 posts, read 3,527,711 times
My favorite places for a beer are the James Joyce, Federal by brightleaf, and Tylers in the american tobacco project (as long as there isn't a ball game that day). Federal and Joyce have great food, tylers, not so good.

New place on the corner of Main and Gregson right down from the Fed and Joyce looks like its got alot of potential. Can't remember the name, they did a great job on their patio, good food for lunch, pretty pricey at dinner.

Satisfaction pizza in brightleaf is great for beer and a pizza.

Georges is a good place to go for afterwork beer and sushi, not a huge fan of the restauraunt though (for the price I'd rather eat at the bar at Magnolia Grill).

Old 05-21-2007, 09:23 AM

27 posts, read 93,410 times
Tyler's Tap Room
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary