Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 06:16 PM

321 posts, read 531,961 times

Advertisements

The Independent Weekly just did a story on the 10 "most underreported" stories of the year or some such. One concerned the Shearon Harris nuclear plant, which has been repeatedly cited for fire safety violations. It's not just a theoretical fire safety problem either, they had a major fire in 1989. They don't appear to have fixed anything, they just send people on patrols every hour to make sure there are no fires. This was allowed by the NRC as a temporary measure, but the nuclear industry is lobbying to make it a permanent state of affairs. I'm tickled to find out that I'm sitting 17 miles upwind of this thing. I guess it's time to learn what pills and chemicals one takes, if any, to survive radiation poisoning, LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 09:41 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanevery View Post
The Independent Weekly just did a story on the 10 "most underreported" stories of the year or some such. One concerned the Shearon Harris nuclear plant, which has been repeatedly cited for fire safety violations. It's not just a theoretical fire safety problem either, they had a major fire in 1989. They don't appear to have fixed anything, they just send people on patrols every hour to make sure there are no fires. This was allowed by the NRC as a temporary measure, but the nuclear industry is lobbying to make it a permanent state of affairs. I'm tickled to find out that I'm sitting 17 miles upwind of this thing. I guess it's time to learn what pills and chemicals one takes, if any, to survive radiation poisoning, LOL!
For many years we received an annual mailing from CP&L (Progress) showing the different zones around the plant in relation to our address. It was really informative and had instructions on what to do in the event of an emergency/leak. I remember looking at the map and thinking no way would I live in Apex or close to the plant, I live in Raleigh nr Knightdale. Funny how over the years things have changed. The mailings stopped and we hear nothing about the plant, and the area around it is hot real estate. Shoulda bought that land there when it was $2k/acre

Old 12-27-2009, 12:37 AM

75 posts, read 253,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvinegal View Post
You sure you want to leave San Diego? That's about as ideal as a place gets!
I love San Diego.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:36 PM

18 posts, read 408,942 times
Please don't let the nuclear plant defer you. It's kind of sad all the misconception about nuclear power... which is cleaner and safer than other types of energy. The whole Three Mile Island incident - if you really wanted to dig into it - was about 10 random different things went wrong at the same time that they probably couldn't make happen again if they tried. And since then all nuke plants have a billion procedures in place to keep that from happening, bar some catastrophic event. If even the smallest thing goes wrong at that plant - they take it off line (come down from power) immediately.

Good luck house hunting! NC is beautiful!

Old 01-05-2010, 03:58 PM

645 posts, read 1,503,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packpr View Post
Please don't let the nuclear plant defer you. It's kind of sad all the misconception about nuclear power... which is cleaner and safer than other types of energy. The whole Three Mile Island incident - if you really wanted to dig into it - was about 10 random different things went wrong at the same time that they probably couldn't make happen again if they tried. And since then all nuke plants have a billion procedures in place to keep that from happening, bar some catastrophic event. If even the smallest thing goes wrong at that plant - they take it off line (come down from power) immediately.

Good luck house hunting! NC is beautiful!
But move to the wake Forest area which is 45 miles from the Nuke plant. I am seriously thinking about getting up towards that area instead of in the 10 mile zone.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:00 PM

645 posts, read 1,503,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanevery View Post
Again we the people accept this stuff, we allow it by buying homes that we know are built way to close to these plants. If they were so safe you would be able to buy insurance if something happened. YOU CAN'T!

Old 01-05-2010, 07:34 PM

143 posts, read 385,325 times
The info booklets from Progress energy are sent to people in Apex annually. They provide evacuation routes, etc. The "medicine" to take in a nuclear accident is iodine. They did distribute pills one year, but the pills expired and we never heard anything again.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:46 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matsmom View Post
The info booklets from Progress energy are sent to people in Apex annually. They provide evacuation routes, etc. The "medicine" to take in a nuclear accident is iodine. They did distribute pills one year, but the pills expired and we never heard anything again.
Interesting! So over the yrs they've stopped sending info/maps to NE Ral and whatever other areas, and focused just on Apex. yes, iodine is the front line med defense as it offers protection to the thyroid. The info is on the web, and they say that if you don't have pills, you can use the liquid solution from drug store, and paint the inside of your arm thereby absorbing it thru your skin. This has to be done in the first few hrs or thereabouts...all info searchable on web. Hopefully it'll never be needed

Old 01-05-2010, 09:21 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
I had a client from NY tell me that he used to work at a nuclear plant and they are VERY SAFE so he would never worry about living near one.

Sherron Harris has been there way before the houses. To the poster that said "we allow this by buying houses close to the plant", you don't have to allow it. You don't have to buy a home near the plant. There are plenty of other homes for sale in other areas of Wake County. The plant was there before you. Surely you knew it was there?

Vicki

Old 01-06-2010, 07:02 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,713,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
But move to the wake Forest area which is 45 miles from the Nuke plant. I am seriously thinking about getting up towards that area instead of in the 10 mile zone.
Which means you'll end up driving a lot more to get to other parts of the Triangle, which is orders of magnitude more likely to get you killed than an accident at a nuclear power plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary