Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:17 AM

645 posts, read 1,503,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Hey in Cary...downtown, there's a pawn shop and a strip club, so you really do find those types of establishments everywhere.
Well aware of this. I am really making a discussion on what we have now opening up in Fuquay. Its really a microcosm of what is happening in all of Suburbia in America today. The economy is never coming back like it was. You better like the area that you live in because its going to go downhill EVERYPLACE!

But man I was just over at the Harris Teeter and the new Check Cashing Place, not open just yet but its got the Plexiglas cutouts, the Spanish neon signs all the stuff that makes it not appealing to shop in that center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 10:13 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
Fuquay is not the only small town in america with the same issue. Not sure what you are really expecting but of course the economy isn't going to be where it was, at least not in the near future. make the best of it.

it is what it is. No need crying over spilt milk lol

Old 12-28-2009, 10:54 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,091 times
As a recent arrival in Fuquay, I have a slightly more optimistic outlook on the future of the town.

First of all, I like the current state of Fuquay, to me it has a real "city meets country" feel to it. The main street has a great pizzeria, numerous boutiques....and a feed store. Head north and you'll find tons of retail options including a Walmart (never had any problems there myself), Harris Teeter, Chick-fil-A, etc. right in between the Tractor Supply Co and the John Deere dealership. And don't get me started on the Aviator Tap Room which is about the coolest place in Wake Co.

As with most places in this country, Fuquay is feeling the effects of the national economy. We see empty store fronts, half finished sub-divisions, dropping house prices, and a general lack of any up-market retail investment in the town. We could definitely do with some better restaurant options, I'd settle for a Friday's or an Outback or even an Olive Garden. The town is screaming out for a Target - Garner has two within a few miles of each other! I have to believe these things will come with time.

The future of the town depends a lot on the national economy. As (if) house prices increase all over, working to middle class families again will be priced out of Cary, et al, and Fuquay will again be seen as a prudent option (heck, that's why I moved here). The arrival of 540 at Sunset Lake Rd will make the town commutable to RTP and help with the perception that "Fuquay is miles from everything". So as more families move into Brighton Forest, Lakeside Village, and even South Lakes, the demand will be there for a better standard of retail and the "low-rent" places will be forced out.

Pie in the sky? Maybe, only time will tell.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:17 AM

44 posts, read 96,284 times
Default These comments seem to have serious racial undertones

The previously posted comments regarding the clientele of the Fuquay Wal-Mart and the "Spanish signs" on the check cashing store windows come across as snobbish and borderline insensitive. Why should it matter who shops next to you at Wal-Mart? Why should it matter that lower income folks are looking to cash some checks at a store that is in the same strip as the local Harris Teeter? These posts are making it sound like Fuquay was once Bedord Falls and is now becoming Pottersville.

Fuquay has brought some nice businesses in recently too. Kohls, the Aviator, Peppermill, Daniels, etc. The community center is a really nice facility. As the community continues to grow, as it will along with Holly Springs, more businesses will come to the market (both upscale and "low scale"). There are low income families and high income families that all live within the Fuquay ETJ. There are plenty of homes valued over $300K in the Fuquay area, which I consider as a fairly well-off family. So to think that Fuquay doesn't have a plan or is simply going downhill to cater to low-income and "illegal" residents is premature and likely flat out wrong. But to continue along this line of thought that these residents are bringing down the town is eerily similar to the Great White Flight experienced in Detroit and other major cities in the 1960s and beyond. I simply can't agree with that assessment.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:25 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
When we first moved to NC in 1994 we passed on Apex because it was the "Fuquay" of the triangle at that point in time. It seemed too "country" and "transitional" for us, and at that time downtown looked pretty distressed. When we eventually moved to Apex and lived there from 2005-2007, it was arguably the most solidly "upper middle class town" in the triangle with a beautiful restored historic downtown and the huge brand new beaver creek commons complex. That was bittersweet because it caused Apex to lose some if its small town charm to become the next "posh suburb" but it just goes to show you how much a town can change. I'll bet when people were buying homes for $150k in Waterford green when it was being developed in the mid 90's (the subdivision we almost bought in back then) out in "country apex", they never dreamed they could be worth almost double that 10 years later in a fully developed well-off suburban town.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:48 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,732 times
Just my two cents...
I remember Fuquay 20 years ago. It was full of cornfields, tractor-pull festivals and some of the best "pig-pickins" I have ever been to. It was a very small town. There was no walmart, applebees, dairy queens, etc. I think there was a mom & pops restaurant, a run-down looking gas station and mostly older folks who lived on the land (ie: farmers). Fuquay was unfortunately, the butt of most "redneck" jokes.

Today, I don't even recognize the place. The houses. Wow! I dont think in a million years I would have ever dreamed that Fuquay would such beautiful subdivisons. I still laugh everytime I drive through it because its definately not the same place it was two decades ago.
I live in a small town too and I would LOVE a Harris Teeter.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:38 AM

188 posts, read 748,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Just what a town needs. We now have a check cashing place next door to the Harris teeter on 401 in Fuquay. They opened an Aaron Rents a few months ago by the Sheets Gas station. I gotta get out of this town!

There really is nothing upscale about this town. It will go the way of Angier in Harnett County.
Why were you under the mistaken impression that Fuquay had any semblance of being upscale???

Old 12-29-2009, 09:59 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
But man I was just over at the Harris Teeter and the new Check Cashing Place, not open just yet but its got the Plexiglas cutouts, the Spanish neon signs all the stuff that makes it not appealing to shop in that center.
Well...I might suggest not shopping there, then.

"5 cents, please!"

Old 12-29-2009, 11:22 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
FYI for the discussion:

17 million Americans have no bank account - Dec. 2, 2009
17 million Americans have no bank account
And another 18% that do still use non-traditional banking services like pawn shops and payday lenders, according to FDIC survey.

It is 8.2% in North Carolina. Follow the link in the article for the state by state breakdown.

When you read the article and the reasons why it becomes a valid topic of discussion relevant to the relative wealth of a particular community.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:35 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgroesse View Post
The previously posted comments regarding the clientele of the Fuquay Wal-Mart and the "Spanish signs" on the check cashing store windows come across as snobbish and borderline insensitive. Why should it matter who shops next to you at Wal-Mart? Why should it matter that lower income folks are looking to cash some checks at a store that is in the same strip as the local Harris Teeter? These posts are making it sound like Fuquay was once Bedord Falls and is now becoming Pottersville.

Fuquay has brought some nice businesses in recently too. Kohls, the Aviator, Peppermill, Daniels, etc. The community center is a really nice facility. As the community continues to grow, as it will along with Holly Springs, more businesses will come to the market (both upscale and "low scale"). There are low income families and high income families that all live within the Fuquay ETJ. There are plenty of homes valued over $300K in the Fuquay area, which I consider as a fairly well-off family. So to think that Fuquay doesn't have a plan or is simply going downhill to cater to low-income and "illegal" residents is premature and likely flat out wrong. But to continue along this line of thought that these residents are bringing down the town is eerily similar to the Great White Flight experienced in Detroit and other major cities in the 1960s and beyond. I simply can't agree with that assessment.
You have to admit that the main road through down is not very appealing to a prospective new home buyer. Yes there is a Kohls but everything else is non appealing. I threw a pizza away from the Pizza hut there after watching the person scratch their arm pits and then go on fixing the food. I should have just canceled the order but I was stunned. Oh yeah I know I am being judgmental but she looked like someone who would do that. Was obvious the Rodino's would close. I have relatives in Holly Springs and drive through FV to get there. Once there I always now head to the new Harris Teeter and Walmart to shop. Not to be biased but I was in the old Walmart one time and was one of the few people speaking English. Not biased but just commenting. Oh yeah how is Detroit these days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary