Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 01:08 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times

Advertisements

A few months ago the News & Observer revamped their website reorganizing they way they display articles. I don't care for the new design and find it difficult to locate news stories under the new format. With that, now not only do I not get a real paper delivered, I have stopped visiting their website as well. Others I have talked to have expressed similar displeasure with the new website design. What do you think? I hope they revisit their site design and make it more user friendly or I fear they may lose even more of their readers over time.

News, Sports, Business, Politics - Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill | The News & Observer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 01:15 PM

63 posts, read 153,657 times
I have to agree with you on this one. I do not like the new format at all. I liked the old website much better, and that was not so great either.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:31 PM

18,056 posts, read 15,645,534 times
I don't like the site design at all.

And while we're on the topic, CNN totally screwed up THEIR site in their recent redesign as well. And why ALL the videos? Does no one READ anymore? I want to read my articles and not be forced to watch video to get the story. harrumph!

Old 12-30-2009, 02:13 PM

450 posts, read 1,350,297 times
I'm not happy with it either. . . and also agree with the previous poster about the CNN redesign and the plethora of videos.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:36 PM

13 posts, read 35,966 times
I'm not a big fan, but I hit the site for the content not the format. At least they don't have a lot of videos. :-) Still get the paper delivered too, mainly to feed my better half's sudoku addiction.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:02 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,041 times
I think the N&O days are numbered. They have reduced the number of Journalists to the mininimum and thats what the new website reflects - lack of content. It's a shame but reflects that it is a subsidary of a major corporation located in Denver or somewhere else far away from the Triangle who don't care about local news but their profits and the next quarterly earnings for Wall Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
A few months ago the News & Observer revamped their website reorganizing they way they display articles. I don't care for the new design and find it difficult to locate news stories under the new format. With that, now not only do I not get a real paper delivered, I have stopped visiting their website as well. Others I have talked to have expressed similar displeasure with the new website design. What do you think? I hope they revisit their site design and make it more user friendly or I fear they may lose even more of their readers over time.

News, Sports, Business, Politics - Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill | The News & Observer

Old 12-30-2009, 06:24 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
They just don't have a sustainable and accepted revenue producing aspect to the online news.
Ads and clickthroughs are not supporting online newspapers.
They will at some point want to charge subscribers for content that has been free, and that will finish off a lot of newspapers.

They, newspapers in general, keep canning writers who then blog for free, and undermine their market.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:06 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,822,398 times
I don't like the change either...it's much harder to find articles by columnist. I don't like the way we now have to look for the different blogs in there as well.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:07 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times
Totally agree that the "new" site is much harder to navigate.
Why don't they get consumer studies before redoing a site and then finding out
that everyone hates it.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:40 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,913,640 times
I guess I'm alone on this! I actually like the new site design much better than the old site. I do use the search extensively versus navigating through sections. But I find it's a cleaner-loading page with less "ad blight" and visual distraction. I also think it's a plus they're using Drupal (an open-source web CMS package) rather than trying to invent it in-house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary