U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 09:54 AM

3 posts, read 53,701 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I would like to know storm water easement in the lot is a good or bad to have. I am planning to buy a corner lot and on the left side of the lot there is a easement for storm water. Its around 25" wide on the front and alomost 1" on the end of the lot . So the shape of the easement like a triangle with wider in the front of the lot.

Please advice if I can go ahead and buy this lot or avoid considering the resale of the property later.

Thanks
Steve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 10:06 AM

31,592 posts, read 55,295,005 times
1 inch seems like a misprint. Check it again.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:45 AM

502 posts, read 1,430,089 times
How big is the lot?

Old 01-03-2010, 12:11 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,488,326 times
if you have a digital camera a picture always helps to explain better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Holland View Post
Hi,

I would like to know storm water easement in the lot is a good or bad to have. I am planning to buy a corner lot and on the left side of the lot there is a easement for storm water. Its around 25" wide on the front and alomost 1" on the end of the lot . So the shape of the easement like a triangle with wider in the front of the lot.

Please advice if I can go ahead and buy this lot or avoid considering the resale of the property later.

Thanks
Steve.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:43 PM

569 posts, read 1,729,795 times
Any easement restricts your rights to the property, so I can't see it as a good thing. For a drainage easement you can't build or plant anything there that would restrict drainage or access to the easement. Like the others said how much it affects your property value depends on the size, location and appearance relative to your lot. Long ago, I had a house that had a drainage easement but it had a buried pipe on the front half of the property and then a ditch lined with stones on the back half. Couldn't build anything over the pipe and keeping weeds out of the stone lined ditch was a pain.

PS When I sold the house the easement didn't seem to affect the selling price relative to other houses in the neighborhood without an easement.

Last edited by jeffs555; 01-03-2010 at 01:04 PM..

Old 01-03-2010, 02:59 PM

1,841 posts, read 4,092,354 times
The corner could hurt you as much as any easement could IMO. Corners are not coveted here like they are elsewhere.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:44 PM

thanks for your comments.

The total lot size is 0.35 acres. Attached is the pitcure. I would say the easement portion is 10% of the total area of the lot. Also the easement is not near the house being built. The width of the easement in the front of the lot ( on the left corner) is 15 feet and and 5 feet wide on the other end at the end of the lot.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Storm Water Drain easement in property-site_easement.bmp  

Last edited by Steve Holland; 01-03-2010 at 04:47 PM..

Old 01-03-2010, 04:27 PM

711 posts, read 3,706,989 times
If the easement is for an underground culvert, then I don't think most people would care about it. You will be able to landscape the area, plant shrubs, pretty much anything you want to do except build a permanent structure on it. You can even build a fence if you want to, with the caveat that it may need to be removed and replaced (at your expense) in the rare event that the culvert needs repairs in the future.

If the easement is for a drainage ditch, then when it comes time for resale there will be parents with small children who won't like it.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:53 PM

The easement is for storm water only, so looks like this should not be an issue for resale purpose. I wanted to be double sure before buying this lot. There is also a storm water drainage pipeline underground in the back side of the lot as well. Hope this is ok as well.

Thanks again.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:54 PM

14,297 posts, read 17,491,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
The corner could hurt you as much as any easement could IMO. Corners are not coveted here like they are elsewhere.
We are considering purchasing a lot very similar to what the OP described with a similar size lot, but smaller easements. And we are getting additional clarification from the builder about this.

However, I was curious about the comment about corner lots being a disadvantage. We are not from the Raleigh area, so can you locals tell us what you perceived to be the value or disadvantages of a corner lot? (In our case, the corner lot is significantly larger than most of the other lots in the community.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary