Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:05 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Drivers license info for NC:
NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles

We have Erie insurance for home and car. Here is a list of sales reps. Call and get quotes:
erie insurance raleigh nc - Google Search

To find out about average gas and electric prices, there are separate companies for each. Call them with your questions.

PSNC - gas - PSNC Energy - Natural Gas Company, Energy Supplier, North Carolina

Progress Energy - electric - Progress Energy

As far as health care, there are a lot of excellent hospitals in the Triangle. (People worldwide travel to Duke Hospital.) There are medical equipment rental places. I believe there are threads on this discussion board that discuss assisted-living centers. I did a search, and this is a list of results of posts that have "assisted living" in them: http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=18069219

This site will be helpful -- Resources for Seniors
Thanks LoveBrentwood! All great resources for us to check into. Now if we find a property, we should be able to ask a utility company about the bills for that home can't we? Or at least a guesstimate?

I had a friend that taught for a few years at Duke University Hospital in the cardiac nursing section. She raves about the place! She really misses it.

Here's another question- We are looking also not to be in development that has neighbors right on top of each other-no appeal to see what they are serving on their table for dinner that night. I guess we are looking more on the outskirts. My friend lives in Cary-but I find that as crazy as the area I live it now.(our area used to be all farms-then 9/11 hit-and everyone moved up here in DROVES to get away from the city). I like a bit of elbow room-we live in a small village that has about 3,000 within it's boundary line. I like a small town feel. But also not so close that we are in the middle of congestion. When we get back down, we'll have some places to look at and we'll know it when we see it, lol It's the school system's in that area I am most concerned with.

All I can say is WOW on the cost of the driver's license! I've been cringing about paying the $180 for mine this time.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 11:05 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,730 times
Hi Camping Mom!
I'm in NY and also planning an escape south.

I think you are on the right track, in an area with so much new development, would a skilled HVAC worker be a welcome addition?

There are PLENTY of ranch homes in your price range, sounds like you are ready to downsize anyway. This is a great area for your mom also, with excellent health care options. (I don't know specifics)

Also, you didn't mention, but take a look at college Tuition costs for your kids...schools in NC are MUCH cheaper.

Good luck! and I am right behind you.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:30 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,088,107 times
Call the utilities and ask what they can provide you with.

As far as small towns, grab yourself a map, and get to know the City-Data site, Realtor.com, and Mapquest sites. City-data has a lot of info about a lot of areas; you just have to look for it.

You can learn a lot by doing Internet research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Thanks LoveBrentwood! All great resources for us to check into. Now if we find a property, we should be able to ask a utility company about the bills for that home can't we? Or at least a guesstimate?

I had a friend that taught for a few years at Duke University Hospital in the cardiac nursing section. She raves about the place! She really misses it.

Here's another question- We are looking also not to be in development that has neighbors right on top of each other-no appeal to see what they are serving on their table for dinner that night. I guess we are looking more on the outskirts. My friend lives in Cary-but I find that as crazy as the area I live it now.(our area used to be all farms-then 9/11 hit-and everyone moved up here in DROVES to get away from the city). I like a bit of elbow room-we live in a small village that has about 3,000 within it's boundary line. I like a small town feel. But also not so close that we are in the middle of congestion. When we get back down, we'll have some places to look at and we'll know it when we see it, lol It's the school system's in that area I am most concerned with.

All I can say is WOW on the cost of the driver's license! I've been cringing about paying the $180 for mine this time.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary