Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:40 AM

3,288 posts, read 8,523,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flute View Post
I have lived in Cary since 2001. The biggest snowfall since then occurred in 2009, when 8 inches fell. Before that, 2 feet fell in 2000. Can anyone remember other large snowstorms that hit this area? (Please give the depth, and it doesn't matter when it happened, as long as it was in this area.)
Are you saying 8" total in Cary, or an 8" snowstorm? I remember we got a 3" snowstorm in early March (maybe up to 5" in other parts of the Triangle?). I think RDU records 7" annually on average, based on the 50-year averages.

I think we have a good chance at having an average year, maybe a little more than average. I have nothing to back that up. I could easily deal with 10" of snow on average. Living in Northern Va, we only averaged 20" a year, but in the last 10 years have had more than 3 storms there by themselves over 20". Then we might have gone some years with mayabe only a few dustings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 11:40 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,944,175 times
My favorite was January 8, 1996. We got something like 20". A fine sunday morning which I remember the day well, because I walked 4 miles into work at Duke (snow over the bumper of the car), took a few pictures in the gardens, and then realized there was supposed to be a basketball game against Georgia Tech (Stephon Marbury's freshman year). I walked over there, and they were waving anyone who showed up through the door in. Probably about 500 people in total at the game, sat at midcourt, 2nd row with my feet up on the first row and back resting on the third, nobody else within 20 feet of me. Good times.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:10 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,730,311 times
Quote:
What about ice storms? Are they more common?
The same page someone posted for the snow "events" lists major ice storms, too (Dec 4, 2002 is the "big one" in recent history). To answer your question: we do seem to be in a band where we tend to get ice a lot when there is snow just north of us and rain just south, but I would not say ice storms are "common".

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
My favorite was January 8, 1996. We got something like 20". A fine sunday morning which I remember the day well, because I walked 4 miles into work at Duke (snow over the bumper of the car), took a few pictures in the gardens, and then realized there was supposed to be a basketball game against Georgia Tech (Stephon Marbury's freshman year). I walked over there, and they were waving anyone who showed up through the door in. Probably about 500 people in total at the game, sat at midcourt, 2nd row with my feet up on the first row and back resting on the third, nobody else within 20 feet of me. Good times.
The only time we've had 20" in this area was in 2000. According to the (cool, I agree) NWS website posted earlier in the thread, the snowfall on the date you mention was 4-6" in the Triangle.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:12 PM

3,288 posts, read 8,523,662 times
4"-6", 20"...who's counting!

Old 01-04-2010, 03:55 PM

42 posts, read 224,290 times
What I meant was that there was 8" in our back yard in Cary. There was 7" in our front yard's deepest spot.

We do get ice storms here, but they are not as common as snow. More often, we get freezing rain and sleet that results in minor ice accumulation and some slick spots. Right now, for example, all the ponds are frozen, and some confined areas where water runoff is occurring have 1/4 inch of ice.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:56 PM

Francois, it is true that most of the Triangle saw half a foot or slightly less, but there was quite a bit of wind, so maybe I was just lucky and it blew some onto my yard.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:31 PM

11 posts, read 32,844 times
I have been here since 2005 and all I can say is " What snow storms?" I have yet to see any.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:53 PM

The Inauguration Day Snowfall of 2009 is easily considered a snowstorm, since it brought windy conditions and more than a half a foot of snow in some areas. (We call snowstorms by lower elevation North Carolina standards. Half a foot would be a dusting in places with lake effect snow and areas like that.)

Old 01-04-2010, 07:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,730,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flute View Post
Francois, it is true that most of the Triangle saw half a foot or slightly less, but there was quite a bit of wind, so maybe I was just lucky and it blew some onto my yard.
Huh?? I wasn't even responding to you--I was responding to the message I quoted, referring to a storm in 1996 (before you moved here).

Old 01-05-2010, 02:37 PM

Oh, sorry. I should have read it more carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary