U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:41 AM

13 posts, read 41,524 times
Default Pullen Park Lofts (seedy?)

I've been looking at taking out a six month lease at the Pullen Park Lofts, located on Ashe Ave, but I can't find any reviews of it on apartmentratings.com or similar sites. During my brief visit the neighborhood seemed a bit seedy, but I didn't necessarily feel unsafe.

Those of you who know more than me (which'll probably be all of you), PLEASE share your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 12:00 PM

517 posts, read 402,495 times
I pass by there at least twice a day. While I can't give you anything definite or any details, from what I have observed - the people coming and going - I would choose to live somewhere else.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:22 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,655,965 times
Becton Properties Pullen Park Loft Pictures
i dunno, that doesn't look like somewhere i'd live...

Old 01-05-2010, 01:08 PM

7,276 posts, read 13,932,161 times
The neighborhood is indeed "seedy", which is a true shame because some of the houses back there on Ashe Avenue would be phenomenol if they were fixed up. They are also literally practically on top of the railroad tracks, I can't imagine the noise and that section of tracks is home to a fairly large homeless population.

I do have to say, however, I knew a girl in graduate school who lived in Pullen Park Loft and she never had a single problem.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:18 PM

13 posts, read 41,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
Becton Properties Pullen Park Loft Pictures
i dunno, that doesn't look like somewhere i'd live...
On my budget I don't feel like I get to be picky. I think with some furnishing of my own I could transform the place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra
I do have to say, however, I knew a girl in graduate school who lived in Pullen Park Loft and she never had a single problem.
That's encouraging. At my budget I'm afraid it may be the only option with a six-month lease.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 7,702 times
It's really better than that. Affordable and reasonable to heat, cool. Safe, been there years, no no incidents.Chek out vehicles parked there.. some klunkers but mostly good...people who mind their own business, some students, some work, some older with a cane, so it's safe.I don't hang around outside so just say hi and keep going. Cheap to heat and cool. Can have a pet.Property Managers, Anna & Bob Kintz have regular grounds maintenance to leaf blow parking areas, trim bushes, trees and regular exterm. part of rent. Con: Some people drop by/drop off their piece of junk furniture at dumpster, but it does get removed quickly, so doesn't stay there long as eyesore.You will see little kids playing outside sometimes and people bar b quing outside. Always been friendly to me and each other. Con: Heard occassional arguments/hassles outside, but gets over & done with.Seen a few folks I wouldn't be friendly with, but who hasn't? I just keep to my own business. Wouldn't be bad, if it's what you need!
Oh, the railroad track question! Yu can get apt. on the other side of track,
but even my friend has some tracks and she has a pretty good house, she owns. I got used to the sound, odd I don't even realize the sound anymore!

Last edited by DianaMarieLewis; 01-25-2010 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: forgot something important

Old 01-26-2010, 05:30 AM

184 posts, read 285,045 times
I'm pretty sure from the photos shown that a company I did contract work did the Security Cameras in the parking lot.

If it is indeed the same place (it looks like it) then I wouldn't live there. People I saw outside looked a little "seedy" and about a year and a half later we were called back. It seems a Taxi Driver was murdered in the parking lot and we had to pull some footage off the system and put on a disc for the cops.

I'd look elsewhere

Old 01-26-2010, 05:43 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,045,939 times
I bet you can find something very close to that price that's a little less sketchy. I live not too far from there, so I pass it quite often, and it's not somewhere I would choose to live. I'm not someone who needs to live in a swanky area, but I draw my line just a little above what I've seen at that place. Have you checked craigslist for other studios or over-the-garage (i.e. non complex) type apts for rent?

Old 01-26-2010, 06:19 AM

2,082 posts, read 4,942,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozenfearz View Post
On my budget I don't feel like I get to be picky. I think with some furnishing of my own I could transform the place!

That's encouraging. At my budget I'm afraid it may be the only option with a six-month lease.
I pass by Pullen Park Lofts on occasion, and just about every time I have gotten the "seedy" feeling as well. Lots of people seem to be hanging around at times when people would ordinarily be doing something constructive. That said, I really don't know enough to give an opinion on what daily life there might be like.

I don't know what your budget is, or what the rental rates are there, but there are some reasonably priced, less seedy apartment options within about a mile radius. Some that come to mind:

Rates listed:
The Raleigh Apartments
Shamrock Apartments

Not sure of rates:
Cameron Court
Shelton Apartments
Grosvenor Gardens (on the National Register of Historic Places)

You can also search craigslist for a roommate situation, which can often be quite economical. To me, I usually go with my gut feeling about a place.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:12 AM

378 posts, read 444,958 times
I have lived in the Shamrocks for 2 years w/o any issues - other than annoying high school brats walking by in the mornings. 595$ 1bdrm and cheap to heat/cool. Walking to Cameron Village for grocerys etc & walking to Glenwood for a drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary