U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 05:46 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,018,468 times

Advertisements

So...Garner decided recently to *not* leash cats.

But apparently Raleigh and Cary have LEASH laws for CATS as well as dogs. hmmm. news to me. What do Chapel Hill and Carrboro do? What about Durham and Morrisville?

Have you ever heard of such a thing? We have indoor/outdoor cats and cannot imagine life if I had to leash my cat to let it outside.

What do you folks in Cary & Raleigh city limits *really* do? Do you leash your cat or leave your cat inside or do you kind of ignore the leash law?

Please, Do tell.

My kids and I are curious.

<grin>

Old 01-05-2010, 05:52 PM

2,270 posts, read 8,100,367 times
In my old neighborhood in Cary folks ignored the leash law and it was fine. For the most part, the cats stayed on their own property (and to be clear, the law only says they have to be on a leash off your property ... they don't have to be on a leash on your property).

But I can understand the purpose; it gives animal control a reason to pick up an obnoxious cat, or it gives someone recourse if their neighbor's cat is using their sandbox as a litter box and the cat owner won't do anything.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:20 PM

88 posts, read 257,443 times
It keeps them off my car. I don't know how many times I have came out and seen them on my car or there lil foot prints. I'm glad they made the law !!!!

Old 01-05-2010, 06:22 PM

11,791 posts, read 27,436,549 times
I thought the leash law controversy was in Johnston County, not Wake County.

I have 2 cats but they stay indoors.

I used to have a neighbor that allowed her cat to roam free. It put a lot of the neighbors in a tizzy since the cat had a way of peeing in other people's yards. Nothing smells worse than cat pee on pine straw! And the reason the cat stayed in that pine straw was to hide and catch the birds as they came to the bird feeder. That did not make the neighbors happy either but that particular neighbor finally moved. By the way...her kids were very untrained as well!

Vicki

Old 01-05-2010, 06:24 PM

4,188 posts, read 9,810,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
In my old neighborhood in Cary folks ignored the leash law and it was fine. For the most part, the cats stayed on their own property (and to be clear, the law only says they have to be on a leash off your property ... they don't have to be on a leash on your property).

But I can understand the purpose; it gives animal control a reason to pick up an obnoxious cat, or it gives someone recourse if their neighbor's cat is using their sandbox as a litter box and the cat owner won't do anything.
In my Cary neighborhood there are many cats that roam free - and they definitely do NOT stay on their own property. I've had them in my fenced backyard on more than one occasion, and it really bugs me. I don't want them using my flower beds as a litter box, stalking the birds I feed, or driving my dogs crazy. Or laying in the middle of the road. It only seems to be getting worse - I guess people see the cats roaming around outside and think it's fine to let theirs out as well.

Definitely a major pet peeve of mine....

Old 01-05-2010, 06:27 PM

15,732 posts, read 17,283,367 times
Holly Springs has a leash law for cats.

Most everyone in our neighborhood ignores it...

I've seen more than 6-7 cats out and about in the neighborhood and frankly, I can completely understand it being a nuisance.

They climb on top of my car, "beg" for food when we are eating on our deck or grilling. I've also found them in my garage INSIDE our boat all nice and cozied up (and they've gotten accidentally locked inside when we did not realize they were in the garage). I've also had 2 cats climb into my car while I'm unloading groceries.

We've had the neighbor cat leave "prizes" for us on our deck and front step. While I appreciate that they are proud of their catch...I really don't want baby bunny heads outside my doors.

We have two indoor cats that remain indoors. On occasion one of our cats will get out (usually a neighbor child lets them out as they are coming or going) but I NEVER let him stay out....we are right behind him chasing him down to bring him back inside. I would be devastated if I ever found my kitty dead on the side of the road, injured by another cat/animal or lost.

When they want to go out we let them play in our closed garage.

I did purchase a leash and harness for the kitty that likes to escape but he went BONKERS when I tried to put the harness on him. We've never put a collar on him so I'm sure he did not feeling restricted.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:39 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,111,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Definitely a major pet peeve of mine....
Mine too. Gee why do I have a feeling the same lazy, irresponsible morons who let their cats out w/o a leash would have a hissy if someone's dog roamed around their yard unleashed? 21st century America: Land of the Double-Standards. Isn't is great

The limp-wristed cat leash laws bother me as much as the limp-wristed littering laws. Thank you, rocket scientist local gov'ts: let's condone the nasty things wrecking havoc in any of a wide variety of ways by passing laws with no teeth.

My girlfriend has a problem with her next-door neighbor doing this. We don't see as much of them since she got her new dog (who is just dying to have them for lunch) but before that I wasn't above the ol BB gun. Won't kill em but boy I bet that smarts.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:17 PM

8,263 posts, read 21,803,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
My girlfriend has a problem with her next-door neighbor doing this. We don't see as much of them since she got her new dog (who is just dying to have them for lunch) but before that I wasn't above the ol BB gun. Won't kill em but boy I bet that smarts.
Sorry to call you out, but that is just wrong. So the neighbors let their cat out. Take it up with them or the local police. Don't injure an animal for acting like an animal just because the owners are loosers. And yes, believe it or not, it CAN kill them.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:46 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,111,745 times
Sorry, I choose not. It's a BB, not a bullet. In fact I've hit one already and it was fine, not even a limp. As to "wrong" you're entitled to your opinion but what's really wrong is people thinking it's OK to let their cats roam anywhere they want unattended. The losers obviously aren't about to do anything, they think they're "entitled" - and you can't be serious re. the police.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:58 AM

484 posts, read 1,175,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Sorry, I choose not. It's a BB, not a bullet. In fact I've hit one already and it was fine, not even a limp. As to "wrong" you're entitled to your opinion but what's really wrong is people thinking it's OK to let their cats roam anywhere they want unattended. The losers obviously aren't about to do anything, they think they're "entitled" - and you can't be serious re. the police.
Can't you get a spray bottle or something? Have you ever gotten hit by a BB gun? I have not, but heard its painful. Might be even more so for a small animal. Can you legally even do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary