Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:21 PM

15 posts, read 30,905 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to Raleigh. I'd like to be the Northern part of the city. I'm looking at a few homes in the $120K-$160K range. I really like the older homes and established neighborhoods of Northclift and Brentwood. Pros and cons to these areas?? Any other similar neighborhoods I'm missing??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 01:48 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Where will your job be located?

I'd pick NorthClift, as East Raleigh near Brentwood has some "seedy" areas--but I know lovebrentwood will be along to dispute that presently

Old 01-06-2010, 03:18 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
It would depend on where I worked. If I worked in North Raleigh I would pick Northcift. If I worked downtown I would pick brentwood.

To be honest, I am not thrilled with some of the area surrounding Brentwood. I think Northclift is also poised for better price appreciation in the long run due its current affordablity and it's proximity to North Hills.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:42 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,822,398 times
I'm partial to Northclift because I grew up close to that area. I don't know too much about brentwood.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:23 PM

15 posts, read 30,905 times
I'm a middle school teacher and I'm looking at West Millbrook, East Millbrook, Durant and some charter schools in North Raleigh for next school year. Gotta be honest though, the more I read about the school board in Wake County, the more I think Northclift might end up with better school options when my child gets old enough to attend. Looks like some schools are really going to be hurting, as are the real estate values in some places. Am I wrong?

Old 01-06-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat5108 View Post
I'm a middle school teacher and I'm looking at West Millbrook, East Millbrook, Durant and some charter schools in North Raleigh for next school year.
East Millbrook is not known for being the best school environment, and I think it's high on gang activity (relatively). Saturnfan has some stories...

Old 01-06-2010, 07:43 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Default Brentwood

Snobbism is tiresome.

Brentwood subdivision is a great place to live.

There are no gangs in Brentwood.

saturnfan has emailed me privately in the past and said he would happily live in Brentwood. Publicly, he says different things. He's very happy with his apartment.

He lived in "Mini-City" which consists mostly of apartments and is not in Brentwood. I wouldn't live there, either.

In Brentwood, there are double homes on Atlantic and New Hope Church Road. They do not represent the rest of the subdivision.

Brentwood Elementary school is scheduled to be a magnet school, so that will be great.

As far as all the other schools, with the new school board, I don't know how anyone can predict anything.

To learn more, Google "Brentwood neighborhood nc," and there is a lot of info on their website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
East Millbrook is not known for being the best school environment, and I think it's high on gang activity (relatively). Saturnfan has some stories...

Old 01-06-2010, 07:48 PM

525 posts, read 1,297,792 times
I live in Northclift and love it. Lots of homes have been redone recently or are in the process of being remodeled (although, there are still homes that really show their age as well...which is probably what is keeping the prices affordable) - it seems to be a neighborhood currently in transition for the better. I can get to North Hills Mall in literally 5-6 minutes from my driveway which is great.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Snobbism is tiresome.
Please cite "snobbism" as has been brought up in this thread? I said saturnfan has talked about East Millbrook. I don't even know if Brentwood feeds to that school; I was referring to it in reference to the poster's mention of looking for a teaching job there.

I said I personally would prefer NorthClift but that you would surely offer another viewpoint (as others might, as well). I grew up in North Raleigh and while Brentwood in the 1970s was among the top 3-4 most impressive north Raleigh neighborhoods, it does not have that status now. That is not to say it is a ghetto.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-07-2010 at 08:28 AM..

Old 01-07-2010, 07:19 AM

64 posts, read 170,507 times
Either one. I would go with the one that had the home that best suited my needs at the time. All things being equal, I would buy in Northclift, but that is just personal preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary