Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 12:44 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,351,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Curious about this restriction. If it is a HOA rule and contract that makes more sense than it being a Wake County restriction.
I think it was a HOA restriction. To be honest, I never checked beyond the initial conversation since it didn't matter to me if it was a HOA or Wake County restriction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 01:28 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,002,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post

Our part of Raleigh only allows single-family homes (we live in the Falls Lake watershed). In order to build our home, we had to sign a contract stating we would not rent out the apartment. Since we had no intentions of doing so, it was not an issue for us.
Quote:
Curious about this restriction. If it is a HOA rule and contract that makes more sense than it being a Wake County restriction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I think it was a HOA restriction. To be honest, I never checked beyond the initial conversation since it didn't matter to me if it was a HOA or Wake County restriction.
Just wanted to clarify because your first post made it sound like you had to sign a contract with the city
about renting out the space. Was this an attached space ??

Old 02-07-2018, 02:10 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,351,955 times
Quote:
Just wanted to clarify because your first post made it sound like you had to sign a contract with the city
about renting out the space. Was this an attached space ??
I don't live within the city limits, so it was definitely not with the city. The space is attached, and is comprised of what would have been the downstairs master and formal living room. The space includes a bedroom, closet, bathroom, living room and full kitchen.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:01 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
in Raleigh, and perhaps Wake County, the kicker is making it a full living situation - bedroom, kitchen, and full bath. You cannot have a detached rentable area, since it is single family. I see plenty of $$ basements with full kitchens and baths and bedrooms and of course a door to the outside. Now, if you go rent them out, you're breaking the law.

There are numerous older homes with detached garages that were built as full apartments that were grandfathered in.

Raleigh City Council is currently weighing changing code to allow "granny flats" as they're being called.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:45 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,594,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
This.

The Lennar "Next Generation" homes which I believe there are two different models (Independence & Liberty) have attached in-law suites. They first started building them in this area about 5-6 years ago so you might even find some resales. In Clayton they have built them in Flowers Plantation, but they're not selling new in that community anymore I don't believe. I'm pretty sure Lennar has built at least one of these models in every single family home community they've started in this region since 2013.
I know that Lennar has them in their Friar's Gate community. Very popular with the Indian population.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:37 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,536,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
in Raleigh, and perhaps Wake County, the kicker is making it a full living situation - bedroom, kitchen, and full bath... Raleigh City Council is currently weighing changing code to allow "granny flats" as they're being called.
Given how controversial ADUs were in Raleigh's zoning code update, I was super surprised to find that they're broadly legal in Cary, the land of beige-on-beige signage. Only larger lots can have detached ADUs, but "utility dwelling units" (mother in law suites) are allowed just about anywhere.

That said, even if the town zoning checks out, many houses in Cary are subject to HOA bylaws that may still restrict them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary