Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 10:08 AM

6 posts, read 12,325 times

Advertisements

Hello

I'm looking to find out what the thoughts and opinions are of the triangle area are toward interracial couples, biracial children, and persons with disabilities such as a wheelchair.

I am in an interracial relationship with my wife being from West Africa and we have two children. We're looking for areas that will be more accepting of these types of relationships as we've seen areas in the past that aren't so nice.

We're looking to move to the triangle area before September and want to make sure our children don't get picked on or treated differently. Coming from Maryland there are many interracial couples and biracial children so we don't really stand out and that's the kind of thing we're looking for now. I also use a wheelchair and need to make sure that I can take my children to places like playgrounds and parks and other types of things including stores both old and new, that are wheelchair-friendly. Hopefully they'll also have a wheelchair friendly bus line as well or be close to her properties are not too expensive but still accessible to these types of places.

Are there other individuals in interracial relationships can provide some insight? Even if it's areas to avoid or anything would be helpful. Please do not respond with derogatory comments. We're a nice family and tend to stay to ourselves for the most part and not bother other people or say derogatory things about others.

Thank you everybody and let me know if there are also any meetup groups or anything for when we get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 10:55 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,663 times
I don't know about wheelchair bus in Wake, but in Durham it's called Access and in Chapel Hill it's called something like shared ride. Newer areas are better about ADA issues than historic properties. My Dad was in a wheelchair for his last couple of years, so I notice it more now.

Being in an interracial relationship will not make a difference here.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:11 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,815 times
Im black my wife is white. No problems or funny looks here and im pretty aware of things like that. No kids but i have plenty biracial family and i havent heard of any issues. Of course there are rascists everywhere but i can say with confidence pretty much anywere in the triangle will be virtually no problem. Especially if you live in or near any of the main cities.

I cant speak much of handicap accessibility but i would have to imagine there are provisions in the public transit system.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:19 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,139 times
I'll also echo in - I'm in an interracial relationship. I'm biracial (African-American/Caucasian) and my wife is white and we hardly get a second look when we're out in public and I feel like we're hardly the only interracial couple we spot when we're out and about.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:29 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Our family, kid's friends, social circles and our neighborhood is made up of the most beautiful
mix of races in every imaginable way.

Interracial marriages, interracial adoptions, and biracial kids are common. It's not even a thought that
crosses the mind of most of the people I know that they would be considered "different" or stand out.

I am sure there are a few people here who are racist, but from what I have seen they would be the ones that would be shunned for that attitude.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:35 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
This is a stereotype perpetuated by northerners about southern racism however I would say our disability services are very poor so I would look into that

Old 01-23-2018, 11:36 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,278 times
I'm white Hispanic and my girlfriend is black. Very rarely do we ever get stares or anyone acting funny because we're not the same race. People are very educated here for the most part, so I think that plays a part in it. I see multiracial couples and their children all over the place down here. Whether I'm in Cary, Raleigh, or Garner.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:47 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Used to be in an interracial marriage over a decade ago here in the Triangle when it was less common. No issues.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:24 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
This is a stereotype perpetuated by northerners about southern racism
I don't know if it's a stereotype perpetuated by northerners in particular, but it's certainly a stereotype that is perpetuated by somebody. There's less racism here than there is in many other parts of the country because we are a very diverse area and have had very diverse schools since the 70s. We pretty much get along. There are always a few racists here and there everywhere, but for the most part we live and work and play together nicely.

Chapel Hill has a free bus service that goes all over town. You might look into that area.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:09 PM

6 posts, read 12,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
I don't know about wheelchair bus in Wake, but in Durham it's called Access and in Chapel Hill it's called something like shared ride. Newer areas are better about ADA issues than historic properties. My Dad was in a wheelchair for his last couple of years, so I notice it more now.

Being in an interracial relationship will not make a difference here.
I know they have special busing for the disabled I was also looking if there are bus lines there easy to get to. Thanks for your feedback
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary