U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 02:16 PM

36 posts, read 105,976 times
Smile Availability of mother in law suite houses

Hello!

I should probably direct this question to any realtors on this site, but if anyone has any ideas, please respond. I would like to know the availability of houses with mother in law suites, or perhaps room over garage, built in apartments, etc. Unfortunately, realtor.com doesn't have this info readily available. Next question, if there are not many of these homes available, how tough are the building codes (particularly in Clayton and surrounding Johnston cty) about adding a small addition on? (assuming you have the property and enough septic capacity). We have about 9-12 months prior to our planned move and any info is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 05:24 PM

2,828 posts, read 7,740,659 times
I don't necessarily see a ton of these listings, and I tend to see them with homes with basements that have been converted to a "mother in law" suite. I have a friend in cary who put an addition on her relatively small lot so that her mom could move in, and they didn't have any problems with the city, or permits and they live in a neighborhood with quite a few restrictive convenants.

Leigh

Old 05-23-2007, 05:33 PM

3,124 posts, read 8,550,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e'smom17 View Post
Hello!

I should probably direct this question to any realtors on this site, but if anyone has any ideas, please respond. I would like to know the availability of houses with mother in law suites, or perhaps room over garage, built in apartments, etc. Unfortunately, realtor.com doesn't have this info readily available. Next question, if there are not many of these homes available, how tough are the building codes (particularly in Clayton and surrounding Johnston cty) about adding a small addition on? (assuming you have the property and enough septic capacity). We have about 9-12 months prior to our planned move and any info is appreciated. Thanks!
I agree with Leigh...I normally see these in homes with daylight basements.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:56 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,902,435 times
Wake county properties w/ a guesthouse or in-law suite

Old 05-23-2007, 07:01 PM
rfb

1,272 posts, read 3,047,426 times
When we were looking to move 5 years ago, we wanted a home with an attached mother-in-law suite - one with its own kitchen so my mother-in-law could remain independent. We didn't find any which met our needs and ended up building a home with one. My mother-in-law now has her own bedroom, bathroom, living room and kitchen, sharing the entrance to our house.

Our part of Raleigh only allows single-family homes (we live in the Falls Lake watershed). In order to build our home, we had to sign a contract stating we would not rent out the apartment. Since we had no intentions of doing so, it was not an issue for us.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:57 AM

36 posts, read 105,976 times
Thanks for the info-especially MAtoNC? for the email link!

Old 01-27-2008, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 13,035 times
Were you able to build a home with a mother-in-law suite? We hope to do the same in the Pittsboro, NC area. Can you tell me what you were able to find out?

Thanks,
George

Old 01-28-2008, 01:49 PM

719 posts, read 2,074,759 times
Hey guess what! I found out that KB Homes, in their Ravenstone community has a floorplan with 2 MBRs... it's called the Morgan. You have to go on the interactive floorplan, and then choose the upstairs Loft as a MBR and you have two. There would be no 2nd kitchen, but it's something anyway and a new home.

Moderator cut: removed

I hope this helps.

Last edited by autumngal; 01-29-2008 at 06:24 AM.. Reason: use dm please, ty

Old 01-28-2008, 10:51 PM

93 posts, read 178,672 times
Default In law suite inside the beltline

I will look in Raleigh inside the beltline. There some homes that are listed as ranch with basements and some of them have a bedroom and full bath that could be used as in law suite. They are not inexpensive but you can find homes in Raleigh area. These are old homes and are built solid. I hope this would help. Good luck.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:36 PM

3 posts, read 12,149 times
Hello, I work in show casting for a program called "Bang for Your Buck" on Home and Garden Television. We are looking for mother-in-law suites to feature on an upcoming episode and wanted to see if you had a positive response from your posting. Give me a call/email if you would like to discuss this at 303.712.3135 or at jjordon@highnoonentertainment.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary