Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 01:25 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times

Advertisements

I am in central/downtown Cary, but I know that we are not the only ones!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 01:53 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
Default I'm headed from NY also...

I've done a bit of research and visited the area---I'm not an expert. You really should go down and visit!

What I discovered is that the busing is getting better. There are kids who ride a bus past one or two schools on the way to their own, even live across the street from a school they can't attend. But they don't seem to be going what I would consider to be a far distance. It is easy enough to map for any house/neighborhood you consider.

My suspicion is that every year they open new schools that ease the transportation snafu...by the time you get there there will be several new schools opened. You can see the long term plan at the Wake County Website. From that you can get an idea of what schools are affected. West Cary in particular is growing fast and some of those kids travel east to school. But there are new buildings opening soon in the west!

Yes, you can get your kids into the same track (High schools do not do year round so once your oldest gets there you will have decisions to make)

Taxes are WAY better in NC than NY. there is plenty of data right here on citydata to support that! I can't wait to get out of here! Don't forget to consider that college tuition is MUCH MUCH cheaper in NC.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:05 AM

7 posts, read 11,168 times
Thanks so much everyone for your info, I have alot to figure out. I am so sick of NY & LI I hope we can be happy there. LI is getting so crowded yet we still feel isolated everyone is in a rush & there are no kids around for mine to play with. I grew up in Queens & would like more of that type of neighboorhood (how it was 40 yrs ago, not now!). I am an RN & hubby is a Cisco guy I know I won't make as much $ but I hope we can find jobs.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:46 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
I thought that the social experiment was nearing an end after the last election? Didn't a couple of the social scientists on the school board get voted out?

I don't have kids so I don't follow the problem that closely, but at some point I will and the issue does concern me. Especially since I live next door to the k-8 grade schools and would hate to see my kids have to go to another school.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:25 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayzeekay View Post
Thanks so much everyone for your info, I have alot to figure out. I am so sick of NY & LI I hope we can be happy there. LI is getting so crowded yet we still feel isolated everyone is in a rush & there are no kids around for mine to play with. I grew up in Queens & would like more of that type of neighboorhood (how it was 40 yrs ago, not now!). I am an RN & hubby is a Cisco guy I know I won't make as much $ but I hope we can find jobs.

hmmmmm. Good luck with that, I don't see a move to NC being something you will be happy with after a few years if

A: You think Long Island is too overbuilt (as Wake County is being built up pretty ridiculously....in large part due to so many people from LI, FL, CA and similar places looking to escape these same things ironically enough)

B; you are looking for a place that is anything like Queens has been within the last century. Period.

You shouldn't move to a different place and want to be like what you are leaving behind. There have been SOOOOOOOOOO many comments on this board talking about "oh, NC reminds me of how LI was 20 years ago when I loved it"....and don't quite connect the dots.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:52 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
hmmmmm. Good luck with that, I don't see a move to NC being something you will be happy with after a few years if

A: You think Long Island is too overbuilt (as Wake County is being built up pretty ridiculously....in large part due to so many people from LI, FL, CA and similar places looking to escape these same things ironically enough)

B; you are looking for a place that is anything like Queens has been within the last century. Period.

You shouldn't move to a different place and want to be like what you are leaving behind. There have been SOOOOOOOOOO many comments on this board talking about "oh, NC reminds me of how LI was 20 years ago when I loved it"....and don't quite connect the dots.
I'm informed, if I remember correctly, you are from upstate, and are now abck there?

Let me explain why I think the Triangle is like Long Island 20 years (or so) ago:

We had Grumman & other high tech aerospace jobs - those jobs are mostly gone from LI- (the companies were lured to Southern & Western states with tax breaks) Those industries attracted a more jobs, and we had an era of relative prosperity and growth with good schools, culture and recreation.

In the past 2 years growth in teh Triangle has slowed considerably. Many people cannot move here, even if they want to, because they cannot sell the homes they already own.

Jobs? Well, that market has slowed too.

The difference between the Triangle now and LI in the early '90's is that this is a nationwide problem- it's not as if the companies are all deserting the Triangle in favor of another state. If kayseekay is looking for a nice suburban family area, I think this is a good place to look.
As for replicating Queens or any other part of NYC, for that matter? I have to agree with you there. You just can't do that anywhere!

Old 01-11-2010, 05:56 PM

645 posts, read 1,502,835 times
In general, the schools are not as good as the schools in good suburban towns in the northeast part of the country. Suburban towns in NJ and Long Island have schools that are far superior to the wake county schools. There are no unions down here, teachers are paid poorly. They hire new teachers out of school who do not stay long. High turnover rates. This year they let go hundreds of teachers. Its not good.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:34 PM

544 posts, read 851,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
There are no unions down here, teachers are paid poorly.
And what is the complaint in the Northeast? "The damn unions are killing us and the teachers are grossly over-paid for their nine-month jobs and the union-negotiated pensions are milking us dry."

You can't have it both ways.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:37 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
And what is the complaint in the Northeast? "The damn unions are killing us and the teachers are grossly over-paid for their nine-month jobs and the union-negotiated pensions are milking us dry."

You can't have it both ways.
Well there is a middle ground.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:35 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
I'm informed, if I remember correctly, you are from upstate, and are now abck there?

Let me explain why I think the Triangle is like Long Island 20 years (or so) ago:

We had Grumman & other high tech aerospace jobs - those jobs are mostly gone from LI- (the companies were lured to Southern & Western states with tax breaks) Those industries attracted a more jobs, and we had an era of relative prosperity and growth with good schools, culture and recreation.

In the past 2 years growth in teh Triangle has slowed considerably. Many people cannot move here, even if they want to, because they cannot sell the homes they already own.

Jobs? Well, that market has slowed too.

The difference between the Triangle now and LI in the early '90's is that this is a nationwide problem- it's not as if the companies are all deserting the Triangle in favor of another state. If kayseekay is looking for a nice suburban family area, I think this is a good place to look.
As for replicating Queens or any other part of NYC, for that matter? I have to agree with you there. You just can't do that anywhere!
Yes, I am back in NY now...but actually plan on making a visit (though just a visit!) to the good ole' Triangle sometime this spring (probably around Easter) if we plan on going on the "Myrtle Beach family caravan" which many of our friends here do every year.

Your logic makes sense and if those are your perceived similarities then clearly you've made the move that's right for you; unfortunately it isn't what I've seen some other folks post. Some of the more detailed comparisons to Raleigh and "LI 2O years ago" that I've seen numerous times on here is the fact that it is growing and suburban, but not too built up, and currently a very popular place to live and move. If that is "how LI was 20 years ago" to those people; do they not think that at least some of the things that have changed in LI that they do not care for are things that they are currently contributing to in the changing in NC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary